Chinese-Forums

What other languages do we speak

roddy

I'm curious as to what other languages everyone here speaks. I can only claim English (27 years of study and counting :wink: ) and my still less-than-ideal Mandarin. I sometimes think about starting a second Asian language - Japanese when I'm feeling sensible, Cantonese when I've been watching too many HK movies and feel a need to say 'Aaaaa' at the end of every sentence.

I'm sure there must be a few linguists among us though. Stand up and be counted!

Roddy

• Like 1

english

mandarin - increasingly rusty; understand a tiny bit of kunming hua/sichuan hua

studied vietnamese (hanoi accent) for about half a year and remember very little

studied latin for 4 years in a jesuit high school and likewise my memories of it are well faded

French

English

Mandarin

I have studied Japanese for one year so far but I found it impossible

I also studied latin for four years but do not take it into account because I've completely forgotten all of it except the rude bits and the word for glue-boiler (which our Latin teacher told us we would never forget and he was right!)

Native speaker English.

Moderately useful levels of Spanish and Bahasa Indonesia, both a bit rusty.

And enough Putonghua not to get lost in a taxi and to go shopping.

Uh I understand, but can't speak, some Tagalog (Filipino), although that may be because most Filipinos smatter their conversations with English anyway.

===

Skylee, how did you come to learn (at least some) Japanese and French? :shock:

fluent English

mandarin

the others you learn at school like french german. not v. good tho. can go there and ask for directions and book a hotel and stuff like that, but that's about it.

my english is sorta native fluency.

my mandarin is 6yo mandarin with whatever i learned from my parents. so everyday stuff i can say, like "what's for dinner" or "you're really stupid" but if you asked me to explain what i studies in chemistry today, i'd be "yeah, we learned about this thing that did this but only if you put it into this other liquid". my pronouniciation of what i can say is pretty very good. chinese people don't think i've been in england that long. and i can write to the level of a ten yo, probly. (learned to third book in primary)

and also, if you told me how to write s chines character, i can get the bi hua right.

man, i wrote too much.

oh, btw, happy new year.

Now, I'm trying to focus on....

-English (I wonder sometimes... )

-Mandarin :D (It's shaky at times as well :P )

-Japanese (Prefer it written :lol: )

-French (Not extremely enthusiatic about it)

-Cantonese (Not well enough :cry: , but improving)

-Korean (Eh...not well enough..)

-Some Spanish :shock:

~Slightly Minnan hua 8)

Any others I more than likely forgot. :wink: