Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BLCU in 2006?

DaTou

Hi everyone! My name is Anne, I'm 22 years old and I'll be in BLCU from July 13th to August 25th ^_^ I'm finishing law school and I'm currently trying to find a place to stay - Amanda, your post is quite helpful!

I guess that's it ^_^ Nice to meet you all!

it is possible to study the first year and come back the second year?

I assume you've already pursued the Chinese government scholarship program? I'm too old to qualify, but you are the right age.

There's always side work as an English teacher (if you know a few things and have the personality/looks for it). It isn't legal without a bachelors or on a student visa, but that doesn't seem to matter to a lot of employers there.

大家好,

我叫Daniel. 2006年的八月我要去北京语言大学。我要上BLCU五,六月。我从USA的Louisiana. 我有22年。我要到北京八月一号。如果你想谈谈,给我邮件。如果你在北京已经住了的话,你可以帮助我。请给我邮件吧。

关找到公寓在北京我有一点忧虑。我觉得找到公寓不要很难但是我去北京以前想找公寓。我想问BLCU的毕业的学生。。。你上学的时候,你住在哪里?公寓好不好?多少?有没有建议?谢谢。

Daniel

I'm going to apply to BCLU for an academic year starting september but one thing bothers me. An academic year at BCLU is from september to? They want the exact duration on the application form and I can't find it on their homepage.. (or maybe I'm supposed to know how long an academic year is but I'm not sure, and I really want to be sure). Anyone?

xus-swede: Officially it's from Sep 1 - Jul 31 (and that's what you should write on your application). Inofficially, your classes will probably end earlier than that, depending on what optional classes you choose and when their respective exams take place.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done with all of the paperwork. Going for full year program in September, but like some others, I'm arriving early August to acclimate and explore. It's a bit of a mid-life change for me. I'm 47 and leaving Atlanta to do what I've wanted to do for 25 years, learn Mandarin. Hope to meet a lot of you there. Drinks are definitely in order. By the way, many thanks to to the old-timers for sharing their wisdom. It's made my research and planning much easier.

Mike

Hello Mike,

It's good to hear that your paperwork is finished and you sent them out to the university. I'll receive my acceptance letter from BLCU in 3 weeks as for you in 2 months. I am nervous and frightened for the tension of decline, but I hope it'll be positive letter. If I do get accepted, I will also travel to China early as you are planning to, the beginning of August for me. I want to accustom myself to the language, the dialect and perhaps tour the magnificent city. I want to immerse myself into the daily life of a Beijingren. :mrgreen:

Doug

I'm going to BCLU september this year if things go as planned. The big thing here is that I don't really feel that very comfortable with admission procedures and so forth. BCLUs website for international students is mediocre at best and I've tried to send an email with questions with no reply. Two weeks ago I posted the application form hoping that I had filled in everything correctly (don't think I've ever been this accurate with an application form) and hoping that within two months I would get a reply. The thing that I'm wondering is if any of you have experienced difficulties with the BCLU? How do things work? Effective or slow? How terrible is the chinese red-tape? My head is spinning and I need to cool down. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello xus-swede,

You got to keep it cool. Calm down and relax Swede. In my opinion on why BLCU isn't replying to emails is because thousands and thousands are doing the same thing: spamming their emails about questions, comments, concerns, and so fourth to them. I guess the month of the application end line is approaching and the last minute people are sending their applications now. So it must be some difficulty for BLCU staff to respond to everyone's comments with care. I knew this problem will eventually occur, so I've sent mine in the beginning of April for I can start the year's semester in Sept. I was reluctant to send mine any later. I think responding to them by emails will be futile, so the only effective way is giving them a call. You just got to keep it easy and have faith in yourself. :)

Hey everyone, I'll be at BLCU during the six week course from July to August. Although I seem to be the youngest by far at 17...

I'm from Seattle, Washington and am a junior (almost senior) in high school. I'm hoping to improve my Mandarin and maybe learn to write a bit. My mom is Korean and my dad is Chinese so I can speak a bit of Mandarin, but can't write any Chinese. :oops:

I'll be leaving Seattle in late June for Beijing to volunteer for a week in an orphanage and then will be doing a quick tour of China before heading to BLCU to go to school.

I'm looking forward to this summer!

Hopefully I'll be studying at BLCU this fall, sept-january. I was there last fall at the same Uni and it was great, met a lot of nice ppl and so on. When I first arrived in Beijing I didnt know anyone but that changed rather quickly.... So to all of you that are nervous, dont be! It's gonna work out great!

Anyone in BLCU from 29th June to 26th July? I am doing a short course and haven't seen anyone here on the same dates as me. I will also be at Nanjing University from 28th August to June 2007.

cheers

Stewart

A quick question for those who have been at BLCU before, approximately what is the age range for students going there during the summer? Looking around at the forums, it seems that mostly everyone is 19+ years old...

Thanks! :mrgreen: