Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BLCU in 2006?

DaTou

Hey there! :D

Just found this site, I wish I had found it about 10 months earlier...I'm just about to start my end of semester exams and then I get to go home for a holiday! Yay! Back for the Sept 06-Jul 07 semesters

I started here in Sept 05, not knowing anything or anyone but quickly made some new mates as classes started and together we eventually understood what the accomodation staff were on about.. :roll:

Don't worry about arriving on the day of registrations, I did exactly the same thing and it was fine, I actually didn't start classes til the 5th Sept and had a few days to wander around campus,etc.

From my experience and from what others have said, we move quickly through lessons, and if you start from beginners and find it too easy its possible to be transferred up a level during the first few weeks. Also the lower levels help to establish the basic grammar skills if you have had any troubles with these.

Hope this helps:wink:

Thanks SO much for the quick response. I like your idea of starting from the beginning and just skipping up if I find it's too easy. That beats taking a test any day!

By the way, if intermediate level is 800 characters, how far do you reckon you'd get in the 3-month course if you started from the beginning? Any idea?

Also--and this may be off the thread a bit, but I'm not sure what to do about that--a friend is giving me an old but souped-up laptop (HP Omnibook 500) IF I can get the LCD display panel replaced. Here in Australia there are no used or reconditioned parts available, and new, the thing costs $1300. DEFINITELY not worth replacing. But I've heard that China is where all old computers go to die. Do you know, or do you know someone who knows, if it would be possible to replace the part (either with a used screen or a new one if they are massively cheaper in China) when I get to Beijing? I'd HATE to be without a computer for 3 months.

Thanks again.

Mado

-Name: andy

Hey, allll, very happy to see you guys here,lol~~~

I am a Chinese guy who spent my last two years in Nottingham, UK and just back China to start the career, as you guys are in fancy of Chinese cultrue, I also enjoy the western life style a lot.

I now live in the Wudaokou area which is quite near from the BLCU, and with on doubt I knew Beijing better, lol...thus I'd very like to tell you something about China

while improving my English and making some friends meanwhile ^_^

looking forward to hearing from you...MSN: Chao1981@hotmail.com

大家好,我姓Sail叫Mark,我的中文名字是费墨可是我不喜欢这个名字所以我的朋友们叫我马克。现在我在北京语言学院大学学习汉语。我在北京三个星期。我觉得很多中国人是很友好所以你们可以认识很多人。 我是二十一岁,从英国来了。

如果你们现在在北京还有要吃的东西,给我打电话。

,我北京电话号码是: 13161537380

如果你们用MSN我的email是marquis_uk@hotmail.com

Its not a bad idea however be sure you understand alot about chinese before otherwise you might find it difficult to understand unless you format the disk and install a enlish version.

Im afraid i dont know any websites but there are plenty of shops to see when you get hear and you can always bargin the prices in person.

Hey, eddieleunggg:

China is a good place to buy those electronic things, especially if u study in BLCU, you can find many shopping malls just a few blocks away which specialy for computer, laptop..etc. they got all the famous brands there and the price is also competitive, range of 5000 to 15,000 RMB. you can try this link to get more.

http://www.pconline.com.cn/notebook/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i think i just posted a reply in the wrong thread lol, i think this is the right one.

Hi my name is Erik from England, Downham Market to be specific (where the lotto lout comes from:oops: ).

Im 20 years old and I will be coming to the BLCU in august starting a bachelor degree in september(if ive passed my hsk). I look forward to meeting you all, especially starting degree students. Take care:wink:

Hey Everyone,

My name is Avital, 29, from Israel. I have studied Chinese for 2 years (didnt do it too well, to say the least...) and Classical Chinese for 1 year (which was excellent!).

Im a recipient of the Chinese Government Scholarship for the 1-year program, starting September 1st 2006.

On the confirmation notice from BLCU I was told to arrive between August 27th and 31st to sort out admission and housing. My flight arrives on the 31st but the Chinese Attaché here in Israel reassured me, telling me I can go directly from Beijing airport to the university (on the 31st...)and everything will be fine.

However, I came across few posts here, recommending to arrive as early as possible, otherwise Im taking a risk of not having vacant dormitory apartments.

The scholarship pays for the housing as well, so I would have thought BLCU will reserve these apartments, but I dont know for sure...

What should I do? Should I arrive earlier, or is it really ok to arrive on the 31st..?

Other than that, Im very excited to start the course and Im hopeful to improve my not-so-glamorous Chinese Skills and learn more about the Chinese culture.

Looking forward to hear from anyone who is interested in sharing their experience.

Avital

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Quentin and I am not going to BLCU, I am going to Tsinghua but I look forward to meeting some of you this year anyway. It seems that very few people on this site are going to Tsinghua, but it would be cool to get to know some of you going to BLCU. I am going to be studing in Beijing all year on a Chinese Government scholarship, and I've been studying Chinese for 8 years. I have been to Beijing before, but only for a couple weeks and I enjoyed it immensely. I am 18 and just graduated from highschool in Maryland, and I look forward to the coming year.

A friend of mine just got back from Tsinghua. She studied there for 6 months and recommends it greatly. She did mention there are hardly any foreigners there but thanks to that she was compelled to practice her Chinese :wink: ...Provided that you have studied Chinese for 8 years Im sure that's not gonna be a problem for you..

Also the dorms are supposed to be pretty comfortable, with an-suit western style bathroom, internet connection, tv and cleaning services.

Im sure the coming year would be exciting and I believe we would all meet at this point or other.

Good Luck!

Avital

Hey guys!

Finally arrived in Beijing today.. got to my hotel, dropped off my stuff at the hotel and went to BLCU to register. It was a bit hectic since my Chinese is now classified as absolutely crap (it's been 3 years since I've spoken/been spoken to in Chinese!) and I had no clue as to where I should go, etc but after some help and running into random Westerners.. I finally registered, paid and everything. Here for 4 weeks.. right now it looks like it's going to be a lonnnnng way to go - everyone seems to have arrived with a group of friends or a couple friends: I seem to be the only one who has arrived on her own? I don't know. I ran into a nice German guy but his Chinese is wayyyy superior to mine, so.. meh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

We're three guys from Iceland arriving in Beijing next friday, we're going to study at BLCU for at least one academic year.

We have one question, does anybody know how is best to pay the fee and if credit card could be used?

We're looking forward seeing you all

Halldor, Kristjan & Sigurdur

Marquis,

Are you sure of your information? The BLCU website specifically states that it DOES accept credit cards, (though you have to pay a fee for using them). The site specifies that they accept cash, travellers' cheques or credit cards but nothing else. Have they changed this policy? Please answer ASAP because if they don't accept credit cards, I'll have to organise something else and I'm leaving very soon. Thanks for your help.

Mado