Chinese-Forums

Help, Tsinghua or World Village?

lylestyle

I am currently in limbo as to which school I want to attend next semester (Spring 06). I am currently going to IUP at Tsinghua but because of how expensive it is I am opting out next semester and going with the less expensive alternatives. Anyway, I have narrowed down my choices to either going to Tsinghua directly through their Chinese studies program for foreigners, or Di Qiu Cun (World Link). My plan is I am going to hire a personal tutor regardless of which school I attend, so right I am looking at what the benefits would be to going to either of those schools. As of now the only benetit I can think of with choosing Tsinghua is it's name, and possibly better teaching staff. But its twice as much as Di Qiu Cun, so I would like to know that my paying that extra money would be worth it. If anyone has gone to either of those schools and has any advice on their experience, I would greatly appreciate your opinion and thoughts. I would say my level is Lower Advanced, anyone with experience at those levels would even be more valuable. Thanks!

I was at Tsinghua for a semester in 2001 (not at all impressed - especially considering the cost!!) and then went to Diqiucun where I was very impressed. I'm actually back there studying for a bit now.

Like anywhere, there are good teachers and not-so-good teachers but the beauty of Diqiucun is that if you're not happy with your teacher you can change - simple as that. My teachers at Tsinghua were crap - and I was stuck with them for the semester.

• 7 months later...

does anyone know if Diqiucun courses concentrate a lot on ting xie as well? i'm thinking of not studying at blcu again because of the tingxie. i personally find that learning to hand write hanzi take up too much time which could be spent better on grammar, reading & speaking. when i do write hanzi i use a computer or a mobile phone so it's all pinyin anyway.

• 2 years later...