Chinese-Forums

Cantonese: 冇得+verb vs 唔+verb+得

wai ming

Is there a difference between 冇得+verb and 唔+verb+得, or are they used in exactly the same way?

For example, 冇得走 vs 唔走得.

Does one mean, for example, that someone is restraining you and therefore you can't go, as opposed to being too busy to go? Or are they interchangeable?

Thanks! :)

Here is another example. I hope it can help you understand more on it.

冇得食vs 唔得食

冇得食: not have something available to eat

都未到中秋节,梗系冇得食月饼啦。(Cantonese version)

中秋节还没到呢,当然没有月饼你给吃啦。(Mandarin version)

It hasn’t been to Mid-autumn Festival yet, so you can’t fine any moon cake available (to eat).

唔食得: can’t eat something or something is uneatable

医生话我发烧,所以唔食得炸鸡翼。(Cantonese version)

医生说我发烧,所以我不能吃炸鸡翅。(Mandarin version)

Doctor told me that I had a fever, so I could not have any fried chicken wing.

个蛋糕都已经发晒霉,唔食得架啦。(Cantonese version)

这个蛋糕都已经发霉了,吃不得了。(Mandarin version)

This cake has got moldy completely. It is totally uneatable now.

Thanks!

I don't know how to explain grammar/usage, but sometimes 冇得走 and 唔走得 are interchangeable, like -

今晚要加班,冇得走。

今晚要加班,唔走得。

But what really puzzles me is why one is not allowed to eat fried chicken wings when having a fever. why why why? No one and nothing should stop anyone from eating chicken wings. :mrgreen:

If you speak Mandarin, the equivalents would be: 没得 vs 不能

Again, a difference of 没 vs 不.

But what really puzzles me is why one is not allowed to eat fried chicken wings when having a fever. why why why? No one and nothing should stop anyone from eating chicken wings.

Because it would save you from getting hotter, and some chickens. Hot chick ens!

今晚要加班,冇得走。(Cantonese version)

今天晚上要加班,我走不了。(Mandarin version)

I have to work overtime tonight, so I don’t go home.

今晚要加班,唔走得。(Cantonese version)

今天晚上要加班,我不能走。(Mandarin version)

I have to work overtime tonight, so I can’t go home.

So, maybe we can say “冇得+verb” stresses on “don’t” and ”唔+verb+得” stresses on “can’t”. And we all understand “don’t” is not equal to “can’t”, right?

Because it would save you from getting hotter, and some chickens. Hot chick ens!

It is one of the points!

But what really puzzles me is why one is not allowed to eat fried chicken wings when having a fever. why why why? No one and nothing should stop anyone from eating chicken wings.

点解?因为阿妈会咿咿哦哦,日哦夜哦罗!“……阿女啊,唔好啊!发烧就唔好食炸鸡翼啦!乖啦,听话啦!快嘀翻上铺床个度挨番阵先,等阵就叫你起身食白粥,饮凉茶。细路仔要乖乖地,唔好纽计,如果唔系,就要去医院,叫护士姐姐同你打针针,到时候你又要唉痛痛罗。……” (Cantonese version)

为什么?因为妈妈会唠唠叨叨,整天唠叨个没完呀!“……阿囡啊,不要这样啊!发烧了就不要吃炸鸡翅了。乖——啊,听话!快点到床上休息一会儿,稍后就叫你起来喝粥,吃药。小孩子要乖乖的,不要耍小性子。不然的话就带你上医院,叫护士姐姐给你打针针,到时候你又要喊痛痛了。……” (Mandarin version)

Why? Because mum will keep murmuring over and over again, “… Good girl, don’t do that! You have got a fever, so you much keep out of fried chicken wings. Be good and be obedient! Go to bed and have a rest at first, then mom will give you some gruel and herbal tea. Little child must be as good as gold and must not be naughty. Otherwise, you will be taken to hospital and given injection by nana. At that moment, you must be shouting again, ”Oah~ ~, it hurts me ~ ~! …”

Thanks!:mrgreen:

So, maybe we can say “冇得+verb” stresses on “don’t” and ”唔+verb+得” stresses on “can’t”. And we all understand “don’t” is not equal to “can’t”, right?

I don't think so, 冇得走 is a special case. 冇得食 does not mean you don't eat, it means there's nothing for you to eat. 没.