Chinese-Forums

Will this work to develop listening skills?

wfujkramer

Regarding the question all the way on the top...:)

I have been learning Chinese for awhile now and found out that the very focus of learning helps a lot in narrowing your goals. Let me explain.

First thing you should ask yourself: "Why do I learn Chinese?"

What do you want to accomplish be learning the language? When you have a goal, break it down small steps, e.g Today I want to learn how to say and inderstand asking/getting a menu at the restaurant, etc.

The point is to have very practical goals that, by accomplishing them, can be implemented rgith away in real-life situations.

Always ask people "Zhe shi shen me?" or "Zhe ge zhong wen zen me shuo?" Learn from people in order to accomplish something, not justr learn.

TV? Ok , you can watch TV, but why? Will enjoy wathching it once you understand everything? Is it that entertaining? WIll help you to improve your life quality? If yes, then WATCH IT. If no, watch movies.

We learn what we like.

Sorry, for the long answer. Hope it helps.:lol:

Sting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A very useful way to improve listening - whenever i watch chinese shows via dvd, i always use my trusty headphones.

I'm surprised at how I can't 'listen' if I watch it via the usual TV and DVD player combination. Once you capture pronunciation of words and phrases, then you should be able to recognise it in future despite how distorted the sound quality is or how twisted the pronounciation is.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is really old but.....

I can't figure out how to get the audio working on this link http://gb.cri.cn/132...74/more4974.htm

I click on the 在线收听 but windows media player doesn't play it, anyone know how to get it to work?

Or any other suggestions on where to listen to news with transcripts (yes I have sifted through all the podcast threads).

Thanks!