Chinese-Forums

bclu student life--questions

aimei

Dorm 4 and 9 were closed down for MAJOR renovation in nov 2005. I was told by the employees there that the renovation can take up to 6 months. I imagine that Dorm 4 and 9 will be of good standard after they are renovated. I suggest you contact blcu to find out when the renovation for dorm 4 and 9 will be completed.

The standard of other older dorms on the campus clearly can not be compared to the newly constructed dorm 17.

well, what about them really when u pay that kind of money you'll probably wonder where the minifridge with free champagne is, classmates of me pay 3000~ kuai / month for the new dorms. And Yeah they're nice, for a dorm. But for ~2000/month I lived in a 150sqm apartment with two friends western standard 5-10min away from BLCU with shower bathroom and all kinds of other convenences u can think of so I'd just ask myself this question.

Do I want to be overcharged only to get a barely decent dorm?

It's quite easy to find rooms in HuaQingJiaYuan and other highstandard apartment complexes not far from the uni. U can either find one before u come here or stay at a hostel (75/night(wudaokou)) until u find one. I wouldnt recommend anyone to live in the dorms, in fact in my class alone there were 6 complaints about this during our course evaluation. Theyre too pricy thats a fact.

hmmm...even though 375USD/month sounds like a dream (I'm from Chicago heh), I suppose given the situation, that is a bit much. Ok, new question then: I am going to BLCU for only the 4 week class, is there anywhere I wil be able to stay that is halfway decent with a non-communal bathroom. And that doesn't give me the pulp fiction treatment in terms of rent?

Karmakid kid is correct to say that the uni dorm rent is more expensive than outside. However the prospective students need to consider how practical and easy to rent a room outside esp if you are doing a short course say 4-6 weeks. Karmakid may like to comment too.

As i understand it, if you rent through an agent you need to pay one month commission and there are other charges you may need to consider , eg bond and electricity charges. Often , they prefer you to rent for a longer period, say 6 months. If for any reasons, you can't get along with your housemates, how easy then to change or find another room.

Based on Karmakid figures, the daily difference is about US$4.5. Prospective students need to consider when it is worthwhile to live outside after taking into the following considerations eg.

1 safety

2 distance

3 students environment

4 convenience.

I suppose that is the reasons why the uni dorms are fully booked and they know it.

It is preferable for you to make decision once you are in china and to weigh up the various options.