Fudan University, Shanghai

tradinup

Hey tradinup,

I'm going here:

Shanghai International Studies University

http://www.shisu.edu.cn/SISUenglish/

550 Dalian Road(W)

Shanghai 200083 P.R.China

And will start in late Feburary. Looks like we'll be quite close to each other.

We should hook up. There's a large park next to SISU (HongKou Park (LuXun)).

Looks interesting.

There are a lot of foreigners in Fudan (about 4.000), it's a good place to study but you can spend a year without speaking chinese except during classes if you only hang out with English speakers. What is your level in Chinese ?

You also have to be quite strong willed because there is always someone to go out with :)

The dormitory is very convenient, clean and modern, but quite pricey if you compare with the rents in the neighbourhood.

The nearest subway station (jiangwanzhen, terminal station of line 3) is about 20 minutes by foot from the dorm but it takes only 5 minutes by cyclo. SISU is only two stops away.

The cost at SISU is about 1000.00 USD per semester and the shared dorm cost about 7.00 per day. This is one of the best prices I've found and I've heard that SISU is quite well funded (not sure exactly what that means but I've heard good things about it).

What are the costs at Fudan? I can't find any info on Fudan's website.

Fudan's tuition is 10.500 yuan for a semester

The dorm is 90 yuan per day for a single room, 60 for a double room, both with a modern private bathroom. So that's about 2700 / 1800 per month.

* private room in a shared modern apartment would cost 1500-2000 yuan

* one person's renovated apartment in an old buiding also about 1500-2000

* one person's apartment in an old buiding about 1000-1500

Fudan is a bit far from the center, so rents are cheaper there.

Costs in fudan:

http://www.fso.fudan.edu.cn/ehtml/ezhaoshen_lxsjxs.htm

http://www.fso.fudan.edu.cn/ehtml/exuexi_sh.htm

Fudan's campus is quite big, you'll need a bike (about 150 yuans)

I have studied in fudan and i think fudan is really a great place to learn things. Fudan is regarded as the best university in Shanghai and i think in many aspects that's just true. It has the best humanity faculties among other universities in Shanghai, especially in language, literature, philosophy, history, etc. If you can understand chinese, you will find plenty of interesting lectures to attend. And there is a great variaty of hobby clubs (学生社团) organized by students themselves in fudan, which are open to every student and they offer great opportunities for foreign students to get close to the local culture and to make new friends.

• Like 1

Ah.. well I don't know my level in Chinese but I know that I'm way, way behind in writing so that is going to be a problem. My listening and speaking and reading is OK and I'm living in a town now that has like 4 foreigners in it, so I'm going to try to desperately catch up in writing before the term starts so I can hopefully be placed in an intermediate or so class.

Yeah we can hook up for sure! As for the rent I think I'm leaning towards finding a relatively cheaper place outside the campus, that ones still in the air though...peace!

You will have a placement test on arrival: written & oral

The nice thing of being in a big university is that they have a lot of students, and thus a lot of levels. Fudan has 12 levels to choose from.

You can try & change level during the 1st week so don't worry too much if you're not happy with the assigned level.

Theorically, you can't be in different levels for different classes, but I know that some overseas chinese switched to upper classes for 口语 and 听力, just find the right schedule and ask the new teachers.

tradinup & woliveri where are you from ?

• 2 weeks later...

How does Fudan compare with BLCU or BNU?

Also, how hard is it to get to Shanghai, if you're flying in internationally into PEK?

Wait, Shanghai has 2 international airports, Pudong International Airport (PVG) & Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)? Interesting...

But, how do the air pollution, cost of living and other living factors between Beijing & Shanghai compare?

I was planning on going to study in Beijing due to its international airport, but should I reconsider Shanghai now?

I would put all of them on the same level for a foreigner

Flying internationally to Shanghai is better :) but there are plenty of Beinjing-Shanghai every day. Don't you know that China has many international airports ?

Pudong International Airport (PVG) is the international airport

Hongqiao International Airport (SHA) is the domestic one

I think Shanghai is more polluted and more expensive than Bejing, but I'm not sure on that

• 7 months later...

hello! i'm new here. here some my questions about Fudan:

1. How long is the semester and when do they start?

2. how much is the tuition fee( including miscellaneous fees)?

3. what are options for board and lodging? do you have dormitories for international students?

4. what are the class schedules? how many classes are they in a day? Are all classes taken are how to learn Mandarin classes?

I actually emailed Fudan, but he didn't answer question 4.

how are the classes scheduled? how many classes are there ?

We are looking into learning Mandarin at Fudan.

Thanks to all, thanks for the help!:)

• 2 weeks later...

there are about 20 hours per week, from monday to friday, between 8am to 4pm

each class has a different schedule

there are 10 levels, from A to J and two higher classes: 高级文化班 & 经济班

there are about 5/6 A level classes, and usually only one I & J level classes

most levels have reading, listening & speaking classes, some also have writing classes and there are 8 electives (ex: new words, 成语, newspaper reading)