Chinese-Forums

Firefox Plugin: Chinese text annotation

trevelyan

Sorry to take so long to reply -- this is apparently a Mac issue. If you check the source code the characters should all be there in the javascript. For some weird reason Safari (??) just has issues with displaying some Chinese characters in popups.

Firefox did an automatic update recently and afterwards the plugin stopped working. I click on a line and the box pops up, but only shows one or two characters and the rest is ???????????. I even tried reinstalling firefox, but it didnt work. Is there a way to fix this and prevent it from happening in the future? Before the automatic update thing it was working fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got the latest version of Firefox (1.5.0.4) and I've installed Greasemonkey (incorrectly?... When I try to poke around the "Manage User Scripts" windows, everything seems sort of dead.)

So, when I go to the script page and try to install it from the Firefox Tools menu, I get the following pop-up error message:

Any ideas???

588_thumb.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I'm already using Internet Explorer 7. Microsoft has made the beta 3 version available at the internet explorer website. You can download it there and give it a try. I do plan on using Internet Explorer, as I don't really like firefox.

As Internet Explorer is used by a lot of people, I think the plugin would benefit from an Internet Explorer implementation. I hope someone will do that. Thanks. :)

Hi, I'm new here and this is probably not the place to ask, as the technology is completely different, but I would LOVE to see an annotation plugin for Firefox working similarly to rikaichan.

I really don't know enough about writing extensions to know if it's even possible to adopt that one to use adsotrans (or maybe an offline Chinese<->English dictionary like cedict), but I just thought I'd throw an idea here and see what happens.

By the way, thanks for writing this script - it made my life so much easier! Now if it only worked for links... :wink:

@m_r_forrester --> You can change the hotkey by editing the Greasemonkey script directly. Open the file and look for this line:

if (whichASC == 65 && adso == 0) { adso = 1; }

The number 65 represents the letter 'A'. Change this number to the binary value of whatever key you want. You can find a list of the relevant keycodes here. http://www.prepressure.com/library/binhex.htm. Then reinstall the script and you are set.

@JanMichiel and tanuki -- these are good ideas.... the interface to the Adso site is pretty simple, and anyone else is welcome to contribute a plugin. Johnd contributed this one --> http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/9390-adsotrans-firefox-search-plugin that does not require Greasemonkey, for instance. I'm happy to make any changes on the server to support something like this.

@zarathustra -- CEDICT is a human readable dictionary file. Adso is a text analysis engine. Hanzibar is a commercial interface to several free dictionaries. This plugin is an interface to an NLP system. The extensiveness, size and accuracy of the various backend databases vary considerably. I'm not sure what the point of your post was, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

• 9 months later...

I am having problem with Greasmonkey on Firefox 2.0. It installed with no problem, restarted Firefox. Installing the adsotrans script doesn't do anything, I tried opening http://www.adsotrans.com/downloads/adso.user.js, use options, no joy.

Clicking add a script doesn't work, very strange. I used the script on 1.5.

Hi

Last week I tried to use Adsotrans after a long pause .. but this time without success. :(

I thought I forget the usage.

My computer has Windows XP. I use Firefox.

> "Focusing on a downloadable, windows version now.

> Anyone else have the time to look at this?"

Do you mean to repair it? I cannot! :) .. otherwise I have time. What should I do? I don't understand your sentences ...

I wish to report that the issue with Greasemonkey is resolved, I can use it with Firefox version 2.0 as well.

Latest Greasemonkey's update (0.7.20070607) works OK.

Thanks, guys :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This thread stopped a long time ago, but I'd be really interested in installing the annotation plug-in. However the following link is no longer valid:

http://www.adsotrans.com/downloads/adso.user.js

Taking out the /adso.user.js I get to the page, but what is it I should download?

Thanks for any advice on this or any other annotation device (the ones I've used so far require you to cut and paste and don't allow for long texts)