Chinese-Forums

Why do I have to stir clockwise?

roddy

And if you take the "pumplings" south of the equator you probably have to stir anti-clockwise.

Actually, I think the "water creates a clockwise vortex going down the sink in the northern hemisphere, but rotates the other way in the southern hemisphere" (or the other way around!) is a myth; the rotation of the earth doesn't really affect things.

Apparently, with more scientific credence is the fact that a right-handed person creates a tighter vortex stiring clockwise. Maybe China is one of those countries where left-handed people are seen as odd, and are forced to use their right hand (thts is the subject of a new thread I guess) and hence instructions can simply say "stir clockwise".

I love these little quirks. You know maybe they figured if they didn't say, someone will say, "But how to stir it."

To be fair, in the USA they now have to label the hair dryer as "NOT SAFE FOR USE IN THE BATHTUB" Because you know there's always one . . .

Hillarious either way:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, that must be it. If you stir anti-clockwise you end up going back in time and, if you're not careful, the pumplings will end up back in the freezer compartment in the supermarket. Obviously, that will slow down preparation somewhat.

You'll all be glad to hear that I will, in the interests of the vast pumpling eating public, be conducting a number of very scientific tests over the coming days and weeks, testing the effect of clockwise and anti-clockwise stirring on pumplings of various fillings. And this will involve eating the pumplings, which makes me glad.

Roddy

PS Reminds me of one of my very favorite newspaper typos: China condems American 'Anti-Dumpling Measures'

I thought everyone stirred their pumplings clock-wise. Don't you?

Actually, isn't it a good-luck superstition thing?

I know that when you stir a meat mixture,( like a dumpling mix) in the same direction you keep the fibers of the meat smooth instead of all fuzzed up -- or so they say.

Maybe having the water flowing evenly in one direction, the pumplings won't have their outsides jarred and bumped?

I kinda like that word 'pumplings'. Maybe 'plumplings' is better description.

------- and what is that (need more water) direction about, I wonder.

Well this just popped up in the news:

DETROIT - A warning that consumers shouldn't use a heat gun that produces temperatures of 1,000 degrees as a hairdryer has won an anti-lawsuit group's award for the wackiest label of the year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060106/ap_on_fe_st/wacky_warnings;_ylt=Au3W6hSnL8M3MynH2FdKZo4DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl