Chinese-Forums

I'm Irish and I want to join the chinese army. Need info. Plz help!

bob501

So I'd like to join the chinese army, as an officer. I was looking at the PLA dailys english page but its only a newspaper and so didnt have anything about joining up.

Hmm...what if war erupted over the Taiwan Strait and the whole world condemns the PRC for it, let alone the PLA.

Your joining the PLA would then cast you in a negative light at home.

Bear in mind that Ireland has a natural ally in Korea.

Koreans are often called "The Irish of the East", having fiery, passionate natures.

You might want to check your nation's position on its citizens leaving and joining a foreign force first, some countries treat this very serious and some can be charged with treason. These types of actions could perhaps get one called a political dissident, actions like this from citizens in other nations where security is of high importance can lead notoriety and charges of high-treason.

1st of all jack Mckelly, I come from Ireland, high security in Ireland? Thats a joke. The government hear isn't concerned in the slightest wat we do as long as it doesnt cost them any money!

besides Ireland likes being friendly to other countries. The government would probably see this in a good light.

2nd: if you read any one elses posts youd see its possible for me to join if I give up my Irish citizenship. (which aint gonna happen so wat does any1 know about the jap army?)

I don't think you could get chinese citizenship even if you did give up your irish citizenship. If you read on other forums, even if you married a chinese woman and attempted to give up your existing citizenship in the ultimate ideal dream world you'd hope to get get one of the new "green cards". I bet even da shan has to make trips to the visa agent. even if you did get citizenship they probably wouldn't let you into the army anyway. I have a few PLA friends and they are always very careful when we are together because they told me they're not even supposed to have foreigners as friends. Who knows what the truth is, but figure its going to take you 3 years to pick up fluent military mandarin, and after that they'll probably try to tell you you're too old to join. The only possible avail would be to pick up a visa application at the nearest embassy and under "purpose of visit" check "Returning Emperor"

wat does any1 know about the jap army?

I know you won't last very long in it if you call it the jap army. The politically correct term is 'nip army'.

Would you consider a career in espionage. The Chinese intelligence services would probably be more open minded. You can make contact through Chinese postgraduates at your nearest university, or Chinese staff at any local high technology firm.

Roddy

• Like 1

I was going to post what Roddy said actually. If you are really set on working for the armed forces for a foreign country, you will have very little luck joining their armed forces. If you won't give up Irish citizenship, then you have no chance my friend. Why would a government entrust you with the safety of their soldiers and possibly sensitive information if you are not even willing to become of citizen of their nation? You would be better off working as an agent for intelligence services. If you are interested I am sure you can find lots of information about the young students in the UK who got involved with USSR intelligence services during the cold war. There are even some famous films about it. Just keep in mind the laws in your own country regarding espionage. It can get you in a lot of trouble.

Japan does not have an active duty army, but a self-defense force which is small in number. That may change in the future, but that is another topic. Anynow, Japan is a very nationalistic country, and I think you would have better luck with the PLA than Jieitai in Japan. And Japanese do not like to be called "japs", you might consider being careful about such words in the future if you are. It is similar to the way some people go around calling Irish "Mc's".

It seems there are some options for work in Asia with the Irish Defense Forces.

http://www.military.ie/overseas/asia.htm Deployment in Indonesia, as well as UN missions. Looks like there was work in Cambodia in the past as well.

If the EU does organize a self defense force similar to NATO, perhaps you would have luck with that as well being an EU citizen. Just a thought, anyways.

Are you a speaker of Irish? I remember reading somewhere that the US Army in the 2nd WW used native speakers of Navajo to code their secret communications, and the Japanese never cracked it. The PLA could use Irish Gaelic as a code, the CIA wouldn't figure that out in ten years.

Being a foreigner shouldn't be a job description anywhere, it all depends on what kind of skills you have (if you are good enough in whatever you do, anything is possible).

bob51 - to get a job abroad, you need a specific skill that is in demand in the country you want to go to. This is because it costs more money to hire a foreigner than a citizen (the Visa normally costs a company quite a bit of money, because lawyers normally have to arrange the Visa with the government). Also, most countries require a 4-year university degree to qualify for a work Visa.

So you have to ask yourself what are your skills that set you apart from the citizens of the country you want to go to? Do you offer a skill that will create a value for that country? Some common jobs that one can get abroad: English language teacher, investment banking, electronics engineering, software, high level management, journalist, and many more.

If you are with a religious group, sometimes you can get a transfer as well. One of the most famous foreign TV talents in Japan worked in villages teaching Christianity for two years before he landed a job with the TV channels. (However, he matched perfectly with the looks that Japanese women want foreign men to have) I have also met a man once who was very high up in the mormon church in Japan. He moved from the USA to Japan to manage a morman church.

There are many options out there, you just need to keep your eyes open.

I've decided Im willing to give up my Irish citizenship if it means I can become a chinese citizen and join the PLA, but I still doubt that will work. I am just finished secondary school and am deciding om my future now. I was thinking of getting a degree, keeping my citizenship and moving to china and becoming a firefighter or police officer. (degree would probably be civil engineering) Id have the degree as a back up if things went wrong and if an opertunity arose to become a chinese citizen and join the PLA, Id have a degree to stand to me. Any one know if foreigners can be firemen in china or police?

"The temperaments of Koreans and Irish are very similar' date='" says Mr. Kim, a professor in Dongguk University's English department and a lecturer at Yeats International Summer School in Sligo, Ireland. Politically, of course, both countries are divided. And socially, Mr. Kim adds, "They both like to drink a lot."

[/quote']

the difference is that the (south) koreans drink so much because they work themselves to death :wink:

lol this site is great

http://english.pladaily.com.cn/special/e900/content/question.htm

I guess they just blindly memorize canned English phrases and entire paragraphs about everything from political issues to space warfare :shock:

How about construction? There's a lot of work to do if you have a liking for construction. Being a construction worker is not as glamorous as being a police officer, fireman, or a soldier, but you'll have a sense of accomplishment looking at all the things you've built and chances are good that they have openings.

bob51 - since policemen and firemen are also employees of the state (whether it be city level or national level), I seriously doubt it is possible unless you become a citizen. Basically, any job that employees citizens only (namely, non-private sector) will require you to become a citizen, if that is even possible.

I suggest you look into the private sector if you want to keep your Irish citizenship. Private corporatiosn can arrange for your Visa. Schools can also arrange Visas. A degree in civil engineering is an excellent choice and will always enjoy high levels of employment, but do keep in mind the building standards and codes are going to be different, which could create a barrier to entry in employment as a civil engineer in China. One option you have is studying civil engineering in China. Perhaps there might be programs that use English, or perhaps you can learn Chinese first?

My suggestion is that you visit the home page of the Chinese Embassy in Ireland. There will be a description of all of the different types of Visas available for Irish Citizens. It will also let you know how long the Visa is valid for, as well as the requirements. Based on this information, perhaps you can figure out a plan that would work best for you?

Hey man, my cousin was in the Chinese Army, A very honest piece advice. Forget about it, it doesn't matter what you do or where you go, China is not an option.

You should just pay a visit and you will realise what it is like and what situation you will put yourself in.

Give up Irish citizenship???You must be kidding, do you know why there are 60,000 chinese in Ireland?They would have stayed if it was good to join the PRC Army.

Please bob501, have you ever realized what it means to get a Chinese citizenship? You won't be able to access to wikipedia.org. Google cache. CNN. BBC. Another major news website. And if you are in the army, you probably won't be able to make international calls either. You'll need a visa to visit every foreign country except North Korea and maybe Cuba. Yes, Maldives doesn't require a visa for any person on the planet; but if you are a Chinese citizen who doesn't have Maldives visa, you won't be allowed to board the airplane to Maldives in China.