Chinese-Forums

Typing pinyin?

ChouDoufu

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone is interested I could write a small offline application that would do conversion from tone numbers to tone marks.

i don't usually type the tone numbers when i type pinyin ... i don't need it; :) make sure other people need it before your take the time to create the program

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

James Dew has developed an excellent freeware “EasyTone” pinyin font available for downloading at http://www.follsworkshop.com/easytone/index.html

It come in Windows and Mac versions, with two different fonts, 4Key Times Roman and 4Key Courier.

To type pinyin with tones, just choose one of these fonts and then type out what you want in pinyin. Any of the four tones are placed over the vowel through a combination of key strokes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I made this modified US keyboard layout, with the 1 through 4 keys remapped as dead keys for Pinyin input. It works great in MS Word and Notepad if you're using the Arial or Lucida Sans Unicode font. Results are usable but unflattering in MSN Messenger, the spacing gets all messed up with some of the third tone characters.

http://www.neveroddoreven.info/USPinyin

• 3 weeks later...

Activate the "US Extended" keyboard in System Preferences/International and then do:

• Option-a and then to create the first tones: ā, ī, ē, ō, ū
  • Option-e and then to create the second tones: á, é, í, ó, ú
  • Option-v and then to create the third tone: ǎ, ǐ, ě, ǒ, ǔ
  • Option-` and then to create the fourth tone: à, ì, è, ò, ù
  • u and then Shift-Option-u and then Shift-Option- gives ǖ, ǘ, ǚ or ǜ.

If you for some strange reason doesn't use Mac, then, well you can only blame yourself.

• Like 1

I'm using Microsoft Word 2000 and do not have the pinyin tones on vowels within the 'Insert' option. What version of Word are you using?

I'm on Win XP/Word 2002, but it works the same way even with Win ME/Word 97. You must have a decently sized font, though; UniCode probably helps. Check the size and date of your favourite font and search the Internet for newer versions.

When I open Insert - Symbol, I can scroll down (upper right box, labelled "subset" or something similar) to extended Latin character sets like Latin-1, and at the bottom of the box there's an option for creating shortcuts. I have the grave and acute accents on my keyboard, but they are available in the same way. It will work in most fonts; to be safe, I just checked Times New Roman, Arial Unicode, Titus Cyberbit Basic and Lucida Sans Unicode, and they were OK with my shortcuts.

For fonts lacking the extra subsets, the Insert-Symbol box looks like this. Larger fonts have the Subset box to the right of the Font box, like here.