Chinese-Forums

Harbin Ice Festival

roddy

Few questions for anyone up in Harbin (if you didn't flee after the little drinking water incident). I'm looking at heading up for a couple of days mid-month. I lived in Harbin for a year earlier this millenium, so I know the city a bit but a lot of what I know is probably out of date. Questions arising:

How's the Ice Festival looking? It's been a mild winter here in Beijing, has Harbin got the ice sculptures scattered around the streets yet?

Where's the action this year? When I was there a few years ago there was a small bit in the park near the top of Zhongyang Dajie, and then a massive show on the north of the Songhua, a fair taxi-ride out of the city.

Any hotel recommendations? From what I know I'd probably stay at the Gloria Plaza (?) at the top of Zhongyang, or the Holiday Inn at the south, but to be honest that's just because they're the two big central hotels that I happen to know the name of. I'm looking for a very nice place, no PSB hostels thanks ;-)

Any recommendations on stuff to see / do? It'll just be two days, so I'd guess one day for the ice and snow stuff, then another day for St Sophia's, wandering around Zhongyang Dajie, underground markets, hanging out in the Russian Cafe - is it still there?

Roddy

Well, I'm going to the ice world tonight. So I'll let you know more details after.

But I have driven past it a number of times, and it is looking mighty impressive...I can't wait to get on the slide!

There is a small ice festival in Xiaolin Park in Dao li, but the one you want is on the opposite side of Sun Island, although as an ex-Harbinite (is that the correct term?!), you should know that.

As for hotels, if you want to stay somewhere nice, I'd recommend the Victories Hotel. It's next to the big convention centre 5 minutes past Dragon tower.

Don't stay in the Shangri la, the rooms are as basic as any travellodge. Very dissapointing considering the impressive reception area.

Holiday inn I don't really know about, as I only go there to watch the Footie. But it's major plus point is that it is right on top of Zhong Yang Da jie, and therefore a very short walk to the places you mentioned.

The Russian Cafe is still there, although it ain't that popular from what I've seen, and too be honest the food was overpriced and not that great...

I would highly recommend you visit a little place called Hamamas in Nangang opposite QS (what used to be Pacers). They have the best Western food in Harbin, something after 4 and a half months of Chinese food comes as a welcome surprise.

Not really sure what else is going on in the rest of the city, as I'm bogged down in preparing for my kids final examinations. Still roll on Thursday and holiday:mrgreen:

• 4 years later...

hi

now a days i m in jiamusi city ,helongjiang province.

and i would b grateful if someone tell me abt the snow festival in harbin...abt which part of harbin this festival is taking place..and what abt the hotels around the snow festival area...

:help