Chinese-Forums

Appreciation or Depreciation

Ian_Lee

I always read the on-line Chinese edition of Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo. Somehow I think their editor has made mistake and always conveys the wrong idea. For example, the headline of one article published today says:

http://chinese.chosun.com/big5/site/data/html_dir/2006/01/11/20060111000018.html

韓元對美元匯率下跌 美元需求激增

My instinct is that the Korean Won collapses again like what happened during the Asian Economic Crisis in 1997-99 when Korean Won plummeted to US$1:2,000Won.

But in reality it is the opposite. The Korean stock market skyrockets to new high and foreign fund pours into South Korea which for the first time since 1998, Korean Won broke through the US$1:1,000Won in recent days and set the high at 977 yesterday.

So it should actually be 美元對韓元匯率下跌 instead of vice versa. Moreover, even after I browse the whole article, I am still not sure which direction the Korean Won is going except the phrase 低空飛行!

its correct =p...think of it this way...if now 1000 Won can exhange 1USD, then if the 匯率 of Won to USD decreases, that means if 900 Won can now exchange 1 USD, then wouldn't it means the Won has increased in value? and read the second phrase, it says that the USD need to 激增, meaning it has to increase in value, so it all makes sense :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...