Chinese-Forums

Gmail unusable in China?

hakkaboy

Are those of you having problems with gmail logging in using the the secure version of Gmail (i.e. https) or just the normal version?

Logging in from this website: https://www.gmail.com will ensure that the login process and all browser/gmail server communication is encrytped, and it should prevent any Chinese-side "filtering" problems from occuring. If I log in from the standard gmail page I get problems all the time. Logging in from https://www.gmail.com and all problems are solved.

I think it's safe to say that there are problems right now. Currently can't access either google or gmail. I can get to google through anonymouse.org though. Gmail was working for me earlier today but no I can't sign in.

Well, actually Gmail is usable in China but it depends on many aspects.

I use Gmail everyday, I can chat with my friend, send and receive email by Gmail without any problem when I am in office.

But sometimes I cannot login Gmail or send email via Gmail when I am home.(using ADSL)

It seems that the most problem is not restriction of accessing, but the ISP you choose.

PS: Both my office and home is in Shanghai.

Well... almost all of the ISPs in Beijing seem to be blocking it now. Sometimes the frontpage for GMAIL will load up but then there are authentication problems on the backend. On the few occasions I manage to get through the connection cuts out promptly. Sometimes there is enough time to check a single email.

Suppose it is time to look into finding some sort of proxy, or switching email providers. Having to deal with this sort of crap makes me wonder if the Chinese officials responsible are actually as incompetent as this makes them look. Surely they must be aware of how atrocious Chinese language search engines are at indexing English-language content, and the importance of being able to access this stuff for economic competitiveness.

Whenever I run into obscure tech problems combining Google and the Usenet Archives are sometimes the only ways to figure out where the problem lies and fix it. Couple that with the blanket technorati ban and blog censorship and these guys are basically cutting off access to the world of answers. Censoring Google will probably set back grassroots web development in China by about a year. Maybe the state development commission intends us all to just keep using Red Hat 9.

imron and gato thanks for extra addresses- Inever knew. doen't work now but will keep them in mind again if trouble again.

Seriously this is really crazy, his hurts commerce.

I started having problems with google and gmail this afternoon. This morning was fine, however now all I get is page cannot be displayed.

I can still ping google and everything seems to be ok, but I can't open them via browser. How frustrating is that. Oh, I guess the only weird thing is that once I ping it, it connects to www-china.l.google.com and I don't remember ever seeing that before.

tor.eff.org

google and gmail have been blocked in harbin for a few weeks now. ive use this util. It gets me in to gmail w/ no probs but still wont get around the wikipedia or bbc block. to use the util make sure all browsers are closed completely including that popular download util that also stores cookies. Then browse happily

It is not unusual for things to go a bit strange at this time of year (anniversary of something!).

Hopefully it will be back to what passes for normal soon.