Chinese-Forums

Learning to play the Erhu in the UK.

Shorn

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance.

I recieved an erhu for christmas and would like to start learning the basics of playing, however I am finding it hard to find any tutition in English.

I have found an English VCD on the george gao site, but they do not state whether they ship to the UK and have not answered my emails so far.

Im just wondering if anyone knows of some books, videos or sites that can help me out, because at the moment all I can get is a screeching noise! :mrgreen:

I live the Southampton,UK.

Many thanks

Sean:help

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sean,

The erhu is a lot of fun. Congratulations on your new instrument. I have been taking lessons for about a year, and find it very rewarding, even if my family does not appreciate it yet.

You may find it worthwhile to stop by the following forum on Chinese traditional music. There are some other erhu players on it, both experienced and newbies looking for help.

http://starvoid.proboards30.com/index.cgi

I don't know if any of the erhu players on the board are from the U.K., but the lead moderator is from the U.K. and plays qin and pipa. He may know of erhu players or teachers who might be able to help you. There is apparently a week-long Chinese music workshop in late July at the Royal Academy of Music in London.

Best wishes,

David Dahl

Portland, Oregon

USA

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a VCD from ebay thats in chinese that has english subtitles, its pretty good, goes through all the techniques, includes factory erhu video plus songs to play and performances

I have been learning this year myself, the forums mentioned previously are very helpfull

I have been playing the violin for 2 years previously and here is how I was playing when i fixed up an erhu earlier this year.

www.michaeljking.com/erhu.htm

From: http://www.amc.org.uk/summer_schools/2006/chinese.htm

CHINESE MUSIC SUMMER SCHOOL FOR ADULTS, London, UK

29 July–2 August 2006

5-day Chinese summer school for adults, offering expert tuition in Chinese instrumental music, including masterclasses on the qin (guqin), pipa, dizi and erhu.

Also there's:

CHINESE MUSIC SUMMER SCHOOL FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE

3–5 August

AGE RANGE: 7 to 16

LOCATIONS

The Royal Academy of Music, Marylebone Road, London NW1 5HT

Nearest tube: Baker Street

Please note the summer school is non-commercial and non-profit making, and is organised by a registered charity.

• 1 year later...

I am wondering how difficult you guys think the erhu is? How long would you say it would take to have decent tone and be able to play songs that please the ear?

Thanks, also if you want basic instruction look up, "how to play the erhu" on youtube I stumbled across some cool stuff when researching the erhu.

• 8 months later...

This is a message for David Dahl in Portland Oregon. I am a novice erhu player in Portland Oregon. I took lessons for while when I was living in Hong Kong, but I am looking for a good teacher in Portland Oregon. I think I saw a post that said you had an erhu teacher in Portland. Can you send me contact info please? Many thanks - jackiek

• 4 years later...
  • New Members

I know this thread is old now but I feel I should update everyone. I found a website that looks like it provides erhu lessons to anyone around the world (UK included) in the form of elearning, it is at http://www.erhulessons.com. I thought this would be useful to those that cannot find a local teacher, like myself.