Chinese-Forums

Please help w chinese names 4 baby girl

RainebowSerpent

hey RainebowSerpent,

So nice to hear that you have born a little girl!

Since you like "Lian" as part of her name, I suggest you try these two:

1. "Ailian" - 爱莲 beloved (or to love) the lotus

爱 - to love 莲 - lotus

pronounce it as how it looks.

2. "Ilian" - 伊莲 (there is no exact meaning for the 1st word): 伊 - it can represent "he" or "she" (female in most case). So you may translate as "she, the lotus"

The pronunciation is the same as well - [ i lian].

I prefer the 2nd, coz the first one is too widely used by people 20 yrs ago.

Good luck!

ohoh, I just remember another one :

"Meilian" - 美莲 "the beautiful lotus"

pronounce it as it looks.

To some of you guys up there, "Xuelian" is good, but only when it is correctly pronounced (which is difficult), and it doesn't sound very nice in english.

more, how a hell would the non-chinese speaking people know that "X" pronounce a bit like "S" in chinese? Yeah, so it read a bit similar as "Suelian" but not exactly...:nono

Hi, i wish you can name your baby 婵娟 chan juan if she is a girl. 婵娟 is a lady's name in old times, concerns much with the famous poet 屈原 Qu Yuan, who lived in about 340-278 BC, he had done great contribution to Chinese culture. 婵娟also refers to moon. There are so many greatest poems concern with moon. When one mentions moon, people will naturally think about home or other relatives. The famous poem 明月几时有were familiar to almost everyone. I suggest you to use this name if your baby is a girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, there's an interesting name available, "惜羽" (xi1 yu3). '惜' is for 'cherish' and '羽' is for 'feather'. A bird must cherish her feather, a girl must cherish her reputation!

I once taught a kid named 习羽 (pronounced xi2 yu3) and thought it was one of the coolest names I'd ever seen.

A thing to note, if you're planning on a flowery name, try not to use anything like 莲(lian2, lotus), 兰(lan2, orchid), or 梅(mei2, plum)... if your kid does get involved in a Chinese circle when she gets older, she'll feel like she has an antique name (kinda like naming a girl Prudence). Along the same lines, also aviod characters like 美(mei3, beautiful) - or am I just being paranoid?

Some characters commonly used in names:

明(ming2, bright)

晓(xiao3, dawn)

丹(dan1, red/warm)

欣(xin1, happiness)

雨(yu3, rain)

飞(fei1, fly)

雯(wen2, colorful clouds)

Just to name a few