Chinese-Forums

Ang Lee 李安

skylee

Ang Lee directed the gay cowboy movie? I'm not a homo-phobe or anything but I just can't help feeling like I want to puke when I see two guys kissing.

I share the same sentiment, but I have a substantial degree of social tolerance (unlike Bush)

Many people like Harrison Ford and the hero persona he plays in his movies. In recent years he has been sporting a ring on one of his ears. Hopefully this will not be a reason to stop watching his movies. Same logic applies here.

... but the film is about a married man and his, umm "fishing" trips with another guy :)

It's a great film - very moving and really well shot; and being a gay man I tend not to throw up when I see two men kiss :) I don't throw up when I see a straight couple kiss either, for that matter.

I heard from a female friend that she has no problem to see two men kissing, just like vice versa. So the movie could get some audiences.

If it continues getting good commentaries and feedbacks, I guess I will watch it. Closing eyes for a few minutes in the middle should resolve the problem.

To be honest, it's a simple love story. Part of what makes it a good film is that it's about gay characters in an otherwise very macho setting (1960s America - and cowboys at that).

Although it's easy to "close your eyes" during the very few kissy kissy bits, I'm really not sure if it'll be a popular film outside the gay community. (Or at least those who have close gay friends or gay relatives.) I think if you take the gay stuff out of the film, there's nothing much more than a simple love story. In other words, quite dull :)

I think I have heard that he was married but I haven't seen his family pictures, his wife attending the ceremony, you know and stuff like that in the media...

Just curious!

I think this film is cool...

20 years of long wait, not all people can actually wait for such a long period!

Actually this is not the gay movie that Ang Lee directed. "Banquet" is also about gay people but a comedy.

Ang Lee seems to be the foremost Chinese director to finally break through the cultural barrier to direct a Cowboy film as well as a gay film.

Has anyone seen Lee's "Sense and Sensibilities"? The Victorian style that Lee portrayed in that movie also surpassed what many British directors could do.

"Brokeback Mountain" is about 美國式的孤寂,中國式的纏綿

Assuming that I interpreted that correctly :oops:, I do agree. The two main characters are for all intents and purposes, are sterotypical American men: very solitary and masculine, inured to stoicism; thus, Ennis del Mar in particular is unable to express his affection... in his mind, and the community in which he lives, it is taboo. At the same time, the "Chinese-esque entanglement" (中國式的纏綿) is exemplified in their own relationship and how it impacts on the other people around them.

I am both a fan of Annie Proulx and Ang Lee, so I am very much looking forward to seeing Brokeback Mountain. I'm hoping it will make up for The Hulk, which, IMHO, did not hold a candle to 臥虎藏龍 or Sense and Sensibility.

"Banquet" is also about gay people but a comedy.

I'm assuming 喜宴 might be a bit different to Brokeback because it is about acceptance within the family (thus you have the Chinese family dynamic), whereas Brokeback is essentially forbidden love thwarted by prejudice. Having said that, I've only read the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some clips (no subtitles) of a seminar in which Ang Lee talked about "Brokeback Mountain". His mandarin is very easy to understand. And very soft and gentle (I think he had no 輕聲, when he said 東西, it was dong1 xi1). :)

http://bc.cinema.com.hk/adhoc/brokeback_video/brokeback_v01.wmv

http://bc.cinema.com.hk/adhoc/brokeback_video/brokeback_v06.wmv

Just curious, because those great clips that Skylee posted show 断背山 behind Ang Lee but elsewhere (sina.com) I'm seeing 断臂山 ... Also, is the transcription "Ang Lee" some kind of conscious anglicization of "An Lee" (李安)?

a) it is 背 (back), not 臂 (arm)

B) the director is from Taiwan, so his name does not follow the mainland romanisation standard. the same applies to names of people from Hong Kong (e.g.Wong Kar Wai) or south-east asian countries (e.g. Michelle Yeoh).