Chinese-Forums

Gift for my girl friends parents!!???

longyang

I hope i can find some help in this forum!!! I plan to meet with my chinese girl friends parents when i visit her this winter! But i really dont know how can i please them with my gifts??:help i really need some advice about this...i am from germany and my girl friend is from Shanghai... maybe can help for your advices... thank and xie xie

I would definitely buy some food. When a chinese friend of mine visited me in Germany, she bought sweets (Merci, Ferrero Roche, Lindt) for her friends and family before going back. How about these big boxes of Mozartkugeln (ok, its not a german product *g*) or Lindt Pralinen...

You are close to the safe side with chocolates, however, consider that a lot of elderly people (50+) do not really like the european degree of sweetness. They are really not used to it, it is too sweet for them. Therefore anything with less chocolate and more nuts is more successful. German cakes and cookies are often successful, so far the most successful product of my kitchen has been "vanillekipferl" and "heidesand". Successful as well are german wines (rather lieblich) extremely successful was Eiswein. Not German but also appreciated is Irish Cream or other sweet liquour. Sausages are difficult to pick, as there are already a variety of sausages available in any supermarket in Shanghai, you may rather invite them for a western dinner (The italian restaurant in the Grand Hyatt on the 56th floor of the Jinmao Building, has been leaving a lasting impression) while you are there. Western luxury products, such as perfumes and so on are met with enthusiasm. Also a book with big photographs of the landscapes and landmarks of Germany has been appreciated. En vogue from Germany seem to be pots for the kitchen (e.g. WMF), have been asked about these a lot recently.

Good luck, take it easy and most of all be yourself, they know you are a stranger and they expect you to get things wrong!

Hope that bit of brainstorming was helpful!