Chinese-Forums

is it possible to use chinese fonts on english OS?

Guest dodo

yes, it is possible!

it is becuase you do not have chinese language installed on your computer.

go to 'control panel' and 'regional and language options', then tick the box that says 'install files for asian language support'. It will then ask for XP CD and install the necessary file.

that will display chinese in web browser. if u want to display within windows (like winamp), or input chinese, then there are a couple of other steps.

To display correctly in Windows:

Finally, click on the 'advanced' tab, and select 'default to unicode programs' as 'Chinese (PRC)' (or Chinese traditional if u learn that one).

Chinese Input:

Go to 'languages' tab, and under 'Text services and input languages' click 'Details'. In 'installed services' click 'add'. Select Chinese (PRC) for simplified (if that's what u want), and add. Make sure is not your default!

the language bar will appear on the start menu, (if not click on language bar and 'show language bar' is selected, not 'disable advanced text services' :)

hope this helps u!! 8)

thanks. those are very helpful.

it turns out i've done most of what you said already. now i've also got the language bar up. but i still can't figure out how to input chinese? do you use pingyin?

i still can't make the fonts to show in photoshop.

i happen to be installing photoshop on a new labtop and during installation i realize there is this option called "pdf support for asian languages"

i'm afraid i didn't do that when i was installing the photoshop on my desktop. is that going to hinder anything?

In the first box shown above you have to click "Details" and then on the next screen that pops up you have to add "Chinese (PRC)" as an Input Language.

When you want to type Chinese, click on the language bar and switch from EN to CN, then start typing Pinyin. If there's a problem, check the settings; if there's no CN, then go back to the Details setting above. If you can enter Chinese in Notepad, then you should be able to enter Chinese into Photoshop (though this isn't true for all graphics programs).

I don't suggest you make the change in the second box shown in the earlier post unless you're running a Chinese language-based program that requires it, since it can interfere with some non-Chinese programs. You can read and enter Chinese fine on XP without making this change.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...