Chinese-Forums

BLCU Non-Intensive Courses - late application?

croyd

I'm interested in applying for BCLU for the 12 week (non-intensive) program which starts at the end of March. I live in Canada and the deadline is on Feb 10. I've been trying to contact the office but I realize they are on holiday now till Feb 6th. I would like to ask them a few questions before I wire transfer the money.

Does anyone know if it's hopeless to apply this late? Will they accept a fax of my application because I doubt my application will reach by mail before the Feb 10th deadline.

Also, how quickly do they confirm if you are enrolled? Do they email/telephone/mail the confirmation? I'm nervous that I may not have enough time to apply for a VISA.

What do you all think?

I know I should of applied earlier but I really didn't know I would be available to go until a few days ago.

Thanks!

Beijing is anywhere from 8-14 hours ahead of you depending on where you live in Canada. So stay up late on the evening of the 5th and call Beijing when its morning there.

Whatever happens, as long as you know what to do by the 6th (Canada) you should still be able to clear the deadline without spending that much money by using 2 or 3 day courier service. Not as inexpensive as regular mail, but not horribly expensive either. Canada Post has a guaranteed 3 day courier system too, I think.

I'd try to avoid using the wire transfer service if possible. First because it can take 7 days to clear. Also because you don't really know when the funds arrive and will not be able to find that out over the phone, especially if you have to speak English. I was the recipient of one which went missing and ended up having to go to the special international branch in Beijing to try and track down the funds. Turns out that Canadian clerk had written the account number on two lines since the space on the Canadian document was too short. Someone somewhere got confused and so the transfer got stuck in limbo.

Can you pay by a cheque payable on an American bank? Most Canadian banks have an American branch for exactly this reason, so asking about it might save you some trouble.

Hi Trevelyan,

Thanks for the information. I believe Beijing is 13 hours ahead. I was planning to do exactly what you said and call them on the 5th at night.

I want to apply to BCLU directly but it looks like the only option for me is "telegraphic transfer". I assume that's the same as a wire transfer. They mentioned that cheques aren't allowed and didn't mention any other options of paying. On the application form, it says I have to wire it here:

INTERMEDIARY BANK: CITIBANK ,N.A.,NEW YORK

SWFT BIC: CITIUS33

ACCOUNT WITH BANK: A/C NO.: 36082562

HUA XIA BANK,H. O.

SWIFT.BIC: HXBKCNBJXXX

BENEFICIARY: A/C NO.: 030-734-028194134

NAME: ADMISSION OFFICE FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS,

BEIJING LANGUAGE AND CULTURE UNIVERSITY

ADDRESS: 15 XUEYUAN ROAD, HAIDIAN DISTRIC

CITY, PROVINCE: BEIJING

TEL.: 0086-10-82303951

Can someone explain what all this means above? i,e Why are there 2 banks mentioned, 2 accounts mentioned? When I go to the bank, if I gave them this information, will they understand this? I've never wire transferred money before.

Also, on the application form, it states to specify the emergency contact. Does the emergency contact need to be a person in Beijing? Or is it fine to specify someone in Canada?

Thanks.

Can someone explain what all this means above? i,e Why are there 2 banks mentioned, 2 accounts mentioned? When I go to the bank, if I gave them this information, will they understand this? I've never wire transferred money before.

CITIBANK is the US correspondent of Hua Xia Bank for USD payment. Any international USD payment has to go through a US bank. The same is true for other currency eg. CAD. If I make CAD payment to an institution that does not maintain account with a Canadian bank, the payment has to go through Canadian bank correspondent of the institution's bank. This is how international telegraphic transfer works.

Do not worry too much with the first account no. 36082562 as this is account of Hua Xia Bank maintained with CITIBANK. The most important account no. is the beneficiary (BLCU) account number held with Hua Xia Bank (A/C. 030-734-028194134) because that is where the money must end up

All that two-bank-business means is that if your bank isn't big enough to handle the direct international transfer itself, they can send the money to Citibank (which has branches everywhere) and they will send it to BLCU. I'd say just take that whole mess in with you when you do the transfer; the bank(or western union or whomever you use to do the transfer) will know what to do with all that. Oh, "telegraphic transfer" is indeed just a long way of saying "wire."

I went to BLCU this afternoon. (I graduated from there last summer)They told me that they could wait one or two days (feb.12). They don’t accept a fax of your application. They will confirm you two weeks later, and may be you will receive the confirmation letter one month later!! If you don’t have enough time to apply for a study visa, they advice you to apply for a traveling visa and then apply for a study visa. If you want to know more details, you should ask BLCU.

Hello croyd,

I was curious how the call went. Did they mention how soon they send the stuff you need to apply for VISA?

stBLCU, do you mean that they would send the VISA application 6 weeks after you sent the application in? 2 + 4? or 4 weeks after initial application? Add international mail time?

Thanks!

I applied also at the last moment for the March 12 weeks, sent in my app at the end of January, but I've kind of left it to the bureaucratic fates, but sounds like maybe I'll need to have to look closer at the VISA process in case something gets messed up.

Also, in regards to earlier question for the emergency contact I just used my family in the U.S., so I don't think it has to be someone in China.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Here's an update:

I had a friend call the office in Beijing for me. The office stated that it's ok for the application to be a bit late..I'm not sure what a bit late is but it my friend said a couple of days.

The office stated that it will take a few weeks for the confirmation to come...hopefully by the end of February. I wired my application fee ($75US) and sent my application in today for 2 day delivery (quite expensive!). At the bank, the guy seemed a bit confused but I watched what he inputted and corrected him a few times. In the end, I think it will go through. I have a tracking number on my application form so I can tell when it arrives in Beijing. I will probably call later this week or next to see if I can get a confirmation that I'm accepted.

El Buceador, in Toronto, I believe it takes about a week to get a VISA so if the forms arrive by the end of the month, I should have enough time to apply for a VISA. If you don't get the forms in time to apply for a VISA, you should go ahead and apply for a tourist visa as stBLCU stated. In Beijing, I think you can get that upgraded to the proper VISA.

As for the emergency contact, I got my friend to ask that question and they stated that the emergency contact does not have to be in China and could be someone outside the country. I put my friend on there who lives in Toronto.

Again, thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it. Now I just hope I get the forms before the end of the month....and of course, look for accomodations.

Thanks!

-Jeff

My major is chinese when I studied in BLCU and my english is not very good, so my explanation is not clear.sorry!!

If you two want to know whether they receive your application or any other things, you can tell me the BLCU's telephone number, I can call them and get the information you want.

I sent my application in last year sometime in late April I believe and heard back within 2-3 weeks max. My visa was processed within the stated 5 working days. You can speed up that process by 3 days if you pay something like $40-50, and I think same day *might* be possible for $70-100 (USD).

As I have stated previously, accomodations are best left for after arrival. Since I book everything else and schedule my life ahead of time, this is the biggest thing that drove me nuts in China!

Amanda

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the good advice Amanda (and offer stBCLU, though I have a friend to help me). This forum is definitely invaluable.

Got my plane ticket today for a week before classes to go figure out lodgings (and definitely looking at your previous rec about where to stay) and play photo snapping tourist a little before classes start. It's definitely less stressful to have some idea what to expect!

Hope to meet y'all soon.

Yes this forum is definately invaluable! I also plan to go a week early to look for lodging.

BTW, on my application form, I stated I will be at BCLU from March 30 to June 21 which I believe is the course schedule. When I apply for a Visa, will I be able to get something longer than a 3 month Visa since I will be going there early and maybe staying in Beijing a bit longer after the classes. I know the school has to send a letter to me before I can apply for the Visa so I'm hoping I won't be restricted to a 3month visa.

Thanks,

-Jeff

• 1 year later...

--> Oh, "telegraphic transfer" is indeed just a long way of saying "wire." <--

Is that a fact? Can somebody please confirm this? Because I thought they were technically 2 different things?

In any case, if it's just a wire transfer, then Western Union said they'd do it for like $14 and I'll have no problem with that...

Otherwise, I couldn't find anyone who does "telegraphic transfers." :(

Do not worry too much with the first account no. 36082562 as this is account of Hua Xia Bank maintained with CITIBANK. The most important account no. is the beneficiary (BLCU) account number held with Hua Xia Bank (A/C. 030-734-028194134) because that is where the money must end up

The current app has a Beneficiary A/C: 0301123-8194127

I just went to Western Union and they said it didn't work.

Neither did 030-734-028194134 or 36082562...

So...uh....what now? Anyone else have a problem getting the 0301123-8194127 to work for a wire transfer???

• 1 month later...

Just a note...it turns out that Western Union generally only wire transfers money between individuals. So, to wire the application fee over to BLCU...you'll probably have to use a bank like Citibank or Bank of America.

Don't bother with Western Union. Ain't gonna happen..

• 11 months later...

Hi All

I'm trying to wire (TT) the application fee to BLCU using their instructions given on their website. I have just been to Abbey and HSBC and they say that there is too much information i.e. there should only be two banks/account numbers, not three.

I just wanted to ask how other people from the UK paid their application fee? Did you use all the information they provided? Is it neccesary to use both HUA XIA accounts or would the Beneficiary one be sufficient?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!