Chinese-Forums

Zhang Ziyi

Ian_Lee

I don't think she changed her name to fit the western audience, also because if you know nothing about chinese names you'll never know which is the first name and which is the last name. Anyway I think she's a good actress, but the problem is that a lot of westerns can't admit that there's "good acting" outside Hollywood. The same happens to hindi movies. India's got a lot of really nice actors but most of the people don't even know their names...

And yes I envy Zhang Ziyi for the love scene with that japanese guy in "House of the flying daggers"...damn he's cute...

• 1 year later...

Wow! I did a Google search for "zhang ziyi beach photos" and clicked the first or second link and saw the pictures. She flashes her butt in one picture which looks quite deliberate if you ask me. Then you see that rich boyfriend guy put his head on her butt while she's laying down and seems to be sniffing her butt. Then he gets on top doggy style while protecting Zhang Ziyi from the sun. Finally it shows him grabbing her butt while looking like a 色狼.

what?

playing with the media? no way:mrgreen:

Only in China...or HK would these even be considered scandalous...please! The fact she's even tanning and almost has a badunkadunk for an asian chic are the only things remotely surprising in these photos

• 5 months later...

Anyone seen Horsemen and got any thoughts on Zhang Ziyi's role? I don't rate it as a particuarly good film - basically cross Seven with Saw and then reduce the quality significantly. Very much a departure for her, playing a psychotic torturer, though, and I thought she did ok given a pretty daft plot and at times some very weak lines.

Would have thought she could get better parts than this if she wanted them though. Maybe she wanted to try something different.

Would have thought she could get better parts than this if she wanted them though.
I don't know. In 2005 she was in Memoirs of a Geisha. After that, in Hollywood she only did voice work for TMNT in 2007. Now it's 2009 and she's in what sounds like a B horror movie. Perhaps she's not getting a lot of Hollywood offers?

• 7 months later...

Yep, I agree as well that she's not the best actress, but her contribution to the Chinese film industry as well as the country's image and its people should be commended unreservedly. In my opinion, there were a lot of better actresses who just didn't have her influence or break through onto the international stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, she certainly doesn't have a good public image in China, mainly because of her obvious and quite public attempts to land a rich husband/boyfriend after receiving nation-wide recognition: her stints with grandsons of one of the richest and most politically influential man in Hong Kong, way-too-much-for-public-consumption-by-Chinese-standard run-in with Jackie Chan and his son (grinding Jackie Chan's crotch in a party if I remember correctly) and her later relationship with Aviv Nevo (if rumor had it, she gambled away 20 millions of her boyfriend's money in one day at vegas, I don't believe it, though.), it's nothing to be ashamed to want to marry rich, it's just that at least in the popular narrative, she's a bit too tactless in her pursuit.

• 1 month later...

I liked her in Sophie's Revenge too because she didn't come across as being cold or distant like she often does. She was funny. Completely psychotic, but funny.

However, given the recent 'earthquake donation' scandal, rumours that she and her fiance have broken up and another about her manager paying people in the media not to publicise any negative stories about her, I suspect she's probably having a pretty hard time laughing about anything at the moment.