Chinese-Forums

Foreign Culture

roddy

I'm curious about what non-Chinese things we're enjoying, and hopefully will get some suggestions. Here's my list . . .

TV: Managed to catch up on some TV watching over the holiday. Currently very much enjoying OZ, which may yet surpass Six Feet Under as my favorite television. Also trying to keep up with 24 and The Shield. 24 is pure entertainment, but The Shield is sheer quality. I suspect Vic Mackey might be able to beat Jack Bauer in a fight . . .

I try and keep up with UK TV as much as possible, but there isn't anything I'm watching at the moment, although I guess the HBO BBC joint production Rome counts. Green Wing and Shameless have new series starting I think. These are both UK comedies I enjoy, but I hesitate to recommend them as the British sense of humour doesn't always travel. I've yet to find a Chinese person who enjoyed The Office, and the Americans had to remake it :tong

Also looking forward to new series of The Wire and The Sopranos. All hail HBO. Plus the shops of Xinjiekou now have the Simpsons up to about series 16 (?) or something. I'm avoiding buying them, I need time to eat.

Audio: My Mp3 playing phone is currently loaded up with The Ike Reilly Assasination, Pete Docherty (I can listen to Albion till the battery runs down) and Libertines stuff. I'm also listening to the Ricky Gervais podcasts from the Guardian, but they're getting a bit samey, and the BBC's Today podcasts, although I don't always remember to actually listen to it. I have the Arctic Monkeys album waiting for a listen also.

I also have a few Flogging Molly tunes and a punk bagpipe version of Amazing Grace from The Dropkick Murphys, which for some reason I like to listen to as I walk home in the cold.

Film: To be honest I prefer to watch TV shows now. I think there's so much good television and nowhere near as many good movies. However, Good Night and Good Luck and the fantastic Serenity have graced my DVD player recently. I enjoyed Serenity so much I'm starting to think I should watch Buffy.

Words: Not been reading so much since my PDA drowned. Oh well.

Roddy

My cousin was Rick in the first season of 24 (the boyfreind of Kim).:mrgreen:

Hmm, I like Da Ali G Show, Current TV, and the Daily Show.

As far as music, well, I'm still stuck in the past. But I do like the new band from Iowa City called Public Property (www.publicprop.com.) Check them out if your into the Reggae scene ("Rick's" brother's band).

Does SportsCenter count as a series? :mrgreen: I watch it religiously. The O.C., Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, 24, and CSI: (insert city name here) are quite popular right now in the U.S. Family Guy is always good, but the Simpsons are getting worse and worse. Roddy, IMO I wouldn't think the 16th season is worth the money.

You used to be able to download all those shows weekly from http://www.btefnet.net via Bittorrent but apparently they charge for membership now.

Much love for Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys(The Green Fields of France). I'm a huge fan of The Clash and Ramones as well. Not a fan of the Misfits, however. Those you've suggested sound great, and I will definitely check them out. Don't know if you'd consider listening to mainstream-sounding stuff, but I've been listening to a lot of Mike Doughty recently, the former lead singer of Soul Coughing. http://www.mikedoughty.com/music/ I would often catch myself humming Looking at the world from the bottom of a Well at the oddest places. Jason Mraz is also great(I listen to I'm Yours when I'm feeling lovestruck, which is quite often heh). http://www.jasonmraz.com You might also like Dallas Green and Jeff Buckley(Hallelujah is an awesome song). http://www.myspace.com/dallasgreen

Not to be distracted in my language studies, I own no TV set.

In the years following my stroke, I haven't been listen very much to music. I haven't researched the phenomenon, but it seems that losing interest in music is a not rare sequel.

For "non-Chinese" interests, it's languages, religions, South Asia and gardening (to the extent that is possible in Sweden).

Roddy, that's scary. Do you actually keep trace of them all?

Personally, I like Friends, Lost, CSI (It is really interesting to see how some scientific experiments are carried out unscientifically :mrgreen: ), and looking forward to OZ, but unfortunately couldn't find enough time to keeping watching them. Maybe I need some reschedule- work. :wall

• 3 weeks later...

I love reality shows -- Amazing Race (I love the series that they rode on cable car to Hua Shan) and Survivor.

And lately I watched all the "Dancing with the Stars".

And of course Desperate Housewife -- But I deem there is too much sex for that hour.

For late night talk show, I still like Letterman after all these years. But every time I watch Oprah, I can't help dozing.

For movies, I like those medieval kind like "Gladiator", "Troy" and "Kingdom of Heaven".

Oz, Sopranos, CSI (all variations), NCIS, Prison Break, House, Curb your enthusiasm.

My name is Earl, Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle.

There's a very good BBC panel game called QI.

Mainly listen to radio panel games and comedies. News Quiz, I'm sorry I haven't a clue, Fighting Talk all from the BBC are very good.

I listen to a lot of the reruns on Radio 7

I still think Ross Noble goes Global is one of the funniest comedy/travel shows I've ever heard. The episode about Shanghai had me in stitches. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/ross_global2.shtml

If I watch TV, rent movies, listen to music, read magazines or books, I try to make it Chinese. Having said that...

I can't bring myself to delete the Pixies from my MP3 player (Debaser has been on it for months now).

My housemate is Taiwanese and only rents English DVDs, for the same reason I rent Mandarin. I can't leave the sofa once she starts watching CSI. It is addictive. But I didn't like the Miami ones as much as those set in Las Vegas. I was hooked on Buffy when it was on TV.

A friend gave me a copy of Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad. I've only just started it, but so far it is good.

House is good.

I liked Friends a lot (tried not to miss any episodes). I was also a fan of ER, West Wing, X-file, etc.

I see plenty of foreign films. Recent favourites are Brokeback Mountain, the Best of Youth and Love Actually.

cheap dvd's...........

apocolyse now

full metal jacket

clockwork orange

pulp fiction

reservoir dogs

kill bill

goodbye lenin (german)

das boot (german)

the incredibles (for a dose of reality)

flatmate has the sex in the city box set. yuck.