Chinese-Forums

What are my chances of getting a teaching job for 2-3 years in China?

Stets

Hey, I think it's great I could find forums like these, I read some other threads and it's helped me alot. Everybody seems really helpful, thank you all!

First off, I love teaching English. I've been privately tutoring international students at the the University of Oregon for about 3-1/2 years. I have 8 years total work experience. I am only 19 years old. I've paid the rent and supported my family (mother and brother) since I was 11 years old, I think it goes without saying that I'm very mature and responsible.

I will be going to a university in Japan to get my BA (I'm semi-fluent in Japanese) and am considering China for an MA or MBA. However, I have to pay for college myself; in that respect it's easier to do so in Japan than in the states, but it costs a lot of money to get into Japan initially.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In review, I'm a caucasian male, 19 years old, 180cm, strawberry blonde (read: I look the part) from the USA. I'm very mature and responsible. I have:

+ 3 years experience teaching English to international students here in the US,

+ 8 years work experience at 3 employers with good recommendations.

+ 3 years helping teach Japanese classes at a local high school.

+ a strong interest in learning and teaching foreign languages

+ studied Japanese for 7 years, and taken an intensive summer course of Mandarin (First year in 11 weeks) at the University of Oregon.

+ No Bachelor or CELTA

What are my chances of getting a Work visa and a renewable contract for teaching English in China? I would like to be there for 2-3 years.

Thanks for any insight you could provide,

Stets

• 1 month later...

You probably found your answer to this already, but you can't get a legal work visa without a bachelor's degree. You'd be forced to go on a tourist visa (renewed every couple of months at your expense) and do hourly work.

It is not a lifestyle that I'd recommend, but if you were only going for a few months then it wouldn't be so bad. A flight to HK to renew your visa would really put a dent in your finances--if you were to stay longer.

Also, where did you hear getting a BA in Japan was cheaper than the USA? Nothing about living here is cheap, nor studying. In fact, the only place I have ever heard Japanese say was expensive is London, as well as some places in Scandanvia.

Since you are planning to go to China for two or three years, have you considered getting your B.A. during that time? You could teach part-time and you would have the student Visa allowing you to stay long term. Just a thought.

review, I'm a caucasian male, 19 years old, 180cm, strawberry blonde (read: I look the part)

heh heh, well, you would have no trouble getting a job teaching English in Japan once you get your B.A. The only thing that could be better would be blue eyes and Beckham-like fashion sense.

I don't see what the big deal about not having your BA / BS is, unless rules have changed significantly since 2003 ? I didn't have my degree yet in 2003, and it was not a problem for the school to arrange my visa etc. I think the issue is that in big cities they actually have some choices in who to employee, so they can demand a degree... go out a little ways into the country side, or even a tiny city (2-3million), and I don't think it should be a problem ?

Justin