Chinese-Forums

Teaching English & Learning Chinese at BLCU

D A V I D

Wow! I'm new to the site and must commend you all for such great comments.

I will be attending BLCU starting Sept 06 and I was wondering how difficult it is to teach English there at the same time (or anywhere else). I wanted to know the normal working hours teaching English at the university level as I will be attending classes from 830-1230. Also, how competitive is it to get a teaching job there or anywhere else?

I am an Asian-American born in NYC, did my undergrad at Berkeley, have a CELTA, and about 1 year experience tutoring ESL students in a community college. However, my Chinese is extremely limited. Any advice, comments, or opinions would be much appreciated.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding something. There are plenty of requests for teachers on noticeboards round and about, and while it might take a while to find something decent, you will find something.

As you'll read elsewhere on the board, things can be more difficult for Asian-Americans (or indeed Asian-Anythings) as they don't look like the stereotypical 'foreign' teacher. However, your CELTA and experience should negate that, and the problem tends to be less severe in Beijing anyway, I think.

Roddy