Chinese-Forums

South Korea's Ban Ki-Moon to run for UN Secretary General

bhchao

South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-Moon is going to run for UN Secretary General to succeed Kofi Annan when his term ends this December.

Ban enjoys strong support from China and Japan, both of whom says an Asian should get the post.

Ban is fluent in English and French, and delivered a speech in French to a highly satisfied audience in France. This is a good sign since the French hate to be spoken with in English in their home country. The French had utter contempt for former US Secretary of State Warren Christopher because he had to rely on interpreters whenever he was in France.

The other Asian contenders are from Thailand and Sri Lanka. South Korea could be an important choice, especially considering the region's volatility and South Korea's geopolitical role in the region between two East Asian superpowers.

If Ban succeeds Annan, he will be the first Asian UN Secretary General since U Thant. Ban may or may not get the post. It is still too early to tell. Factors such as bickering politics between the five permanent Security Council members can derail a candidacy. All five members must unanimously agree to the choice, especially Washington and Beijing. So it is important for the candidate to be well-liked by all five members. Currently Ban enjoys excellent relations with Britain and France, and is well-respected by the US and China.

Although the US prefers a Eastern European candidate to succeed Annan, Russia will almost certainly veto a candidate from the former Eastern European bloc.

I think a candidate from Thailand would likely be a more neutral candidate than one from South Korea. There is still that mentality in people's heads that South Korea is a strong ally of the US. However in recent years, South Korea has acted increasingly independent of the US, and demanded that it take full operational command of its military forces during wartime as soon as possible. There has even been anti-American protests in South Korea, with a majority of young adults there who think the US poses the biggest danger to Korea's long term interests. Seoul identifies with Beijing's approach towards North Korea instead of Washington's, but has maintained cordial relations with the US despite internal resentment towards the latter.

No way there will ever be a Chinese UN Secretary General, given that China is one of the permanent Security Council members. And there will never be a UN Secretary General from Japan as long as China says so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060214/ts_nm/un_korea_ban_dc

Personally, I would like to see Jose Ramos Horta from Timor L'este get the job. Although he is not officially a candidate he has been mentioned in various media reports as a potential contender. I doubt anyone could have met as many world leader's and tramped the corridors of the UN as much as him.

Thailand's candidate, Surakiart Sathirathai, has been strongly criticised by the media in his home country. He does have the endorsement of ASEAN though. He could get the job as a compromise candidate. If neither the Korean or Sri Lankan candidate can get the numbers then Surakiart might be the alternative.

No way there will ever be a Chinese UN Secretary General, given that China is one of the permanent Security Council members. And there will never be a UN Secretary General from Japan as long as China says so.

The ideal candidate should come from a smaller nation or middling power that doesn't dominate a particular region. (South Korea, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Timor L'este all fit this criteria). A candidate from China, Russia or the US would never be acceptable. These nations have enough power already.

• 7 months later...

Ban Ki-Moon was nominated today to succeed Kofi Annan as UN Secretary General, and will take office on Jan.1. Ban now faces the task of dealing with a nuclear North Korea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/09/world/asia/10bancnd.html?hp&ex=1160452800&en=c3afde6ebcf1c651&ei=5094&partner=homepage

The Security Council today officially nominated Ban Ki-moon, the foreign minister of South Korea, to become secretary general of the United Nations on Jan. 1.

In a news conference in Seoul, Mr. Ban said the decision was an honor for him and his country. But he added, “This should be a moment of joy, but instead I stand here with a very heavy heart. Despite the concerted warning from the international community, North Korea has gone ahead with a nuclear test.”

Kenzo Oshima, the ambassador of Japan, the council president, announced that Mr. Ban had been approved by the 15 members by acclamation.

His nomination had been assured after he won four informal polls of the council over the summer, leading to the withdrawal last week of the six other candidates in the race.

Mr. Ban, 62, will succeed Kofi Annan, who retires Dec. 31 after two five-year terms in office. Mr. Annan released a statement affirming “the highest respect for Mr. Ban” and pledging to help insure a smooth transition.

Soft- spoken and retiring, Mr. Ban presents a sharp contrast to Mr. Annan, who won a Nobel Peace Prize, made pronouncements on violations of international law and gained diplomatic rock star status before the mismanagement of the oil-for-food program, sexual exploitation by blue-helmeted peacekeepers and scandals in the United Nations procurement office tarnished his reputation during his second term.

The council took its scheduled action on Mr. Ban before convening an emergency meeting on the apparent North Korean nuclear test, and Mr. Oshima noted, “I think the fact the candidate is current foreign minister of the Republic of Korea is an asset in dealing with the situation in the Korean peninsula that we are facing.”

In a similar reference, John R. Bolton, the American ambassador, said, “It’s really quite an appropriate juxtaposition that today, 61 years after the temporary division of the Korean Peninsula at the end of World War II, that we’re electing a foreign minister of South Korea secretary general of this organization and meeting, as well, to consider the testing by the North Koreans of a nuclear device.”

He said, “I can’t think of a better way to show the difference in the progress that those two countries — great progress in the south and great tragedy in the north.”....

Ban is fluent in English and French,
That's not my impression. Saw him on tv last week, and for all I care he can be the SG but let him please hire a good interpreter, so that he doesn't have to rely on his own English. I only saw him for a bit on the news, maybe he just had a bad day, but that was my impression. Intelligible, but only barely.

I'm surprised Ban is not fluent in Mandarin. Given China's important role in the region, Mandarin should be on par with English among diplomatic circles.

It would be cool if there was a diplomat today with the caliber of Zhou Enlai. Zhou, like Ban, was also fluent in French.