Chinese-Forums

Chinese hip-hop

TSkillet

I met Jin when he came to Hong KOng 3 years ago, and again in Houston last year. I do like his style - but it comes of as Eninem-lite - no, not that he's not black, but his humor and rhyme style mirrors Em. That being said he's pretty good, and actually his cantonese level is very similar to mine - in that he's pretty fluent with usage, but his accent is clearly non-native.

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I agree with the sameness of every rapper rapping about money, cash, hoes (I don't dislike it - I have the new Game CD and 50 Cent and other stuff) - there's always going to be good hip hop - Outkast, Nas, Jurassic 5, the last B-Boys album was great, etc. etc.

Okay, now we're off topic.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone else heard of 大支 from taiwan? Yeh MC Hotdog is in the army at the moment' date=' but apparently 大支 is part of his crew.

There's one track where 大支 raps with korean and canto rappers, good stuff.[/quote']

yeah, his cd 舌粲蓮花 is pretty good.. his graduation song with MC Hotdog is ok too, their songs sound repetivitive after a while though.

scream records has a few. madking {the only song i like on there is his duet with lil5}, 大陆断层

隐藏 is a shame to scream-records. eh. more like sh!t-pop.

you might want to check out: 龙门阵1 , if i recall correctly features: ANS-JUMP, arho-sunny,MC肆,龙门阵团体,刘佳,隐藏&王波...etc.

lack of tones in Chinese music --> difficult to understand --> when its being rapped at high speed it gets even harder. Thats why the slow ballad music is the most popular.

Hmmm, I didn't really have any issues understanding cantonese rap - and that has more tones than Mandarin.

Hmmm, I didn't really have any issues understanding cantonese rap - and that has more tones than Mandarin.

Are you a native if so, that's understandable. If not, than good job! I can barely distinguish tones when chinese are straight speaking. For rap fans like myself however, chinese rap can seem a little, as we say in the states, cheesy.

chinese does not work with fast-paced music

lack of tones in Chinese music --> difficult to understand --> when its being rapped at high speed it gets even harder. Thats why the slow ballad music is the most popular.

there have to be issues' date=' since music throws out all the tones. That would mean that someone could get by just fine without using any tones for their words.

[/quote']

Too soon to draw a conlusion?

自以为然而不然也,自不以为然而然也?

i thought you were good at chinese nipponman? or are you still working at listening?

You have to understand Harpoon, I just started learning chinese 2 years ago, not really enough time to accrue too much fleuncy. But I am pretty good, for some one of my experience. Listening is the hardest challenge in any language, once you master that your growth could be exponential. You would be able to learn like a child, just picking stuff up. If you've seen this thread, http://chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/4-favourite-chinese-film677 (which by the way no one has responded to) you will see how hard it is to listen to chinese. The pronunciations are pretty easy to hear, but tone distinction for normal spoken chinese is hard to discern, at least for me. But if you can get the tones no problem then, hey good job so far!

lol no nipponman, i can't distinguish tones worth shit :o I am seriously beginning to believe that for native speakers, most tones are skipped and context (you hear the same phrases a lot of times in your life) is used to discern the dozens of meanings.

Are you a native if so, that's understandable. If not, than good job! I can barely distinguish tones when chinese are straight speaking. For rap fans like myself however, chinese rap can seem a little, as we say in the states, cheesy.

I'm semi-native. Cantonese was my first language, but not my best (I grew up in the US - in a Cantonese speaking household).

I agree that a lot of Chinese rap is cringe-worthy, but I think that has a lot more to do with hearing it in a different language.