Chinese-Forums

Chinese hip-hop

TSkillet

I agree that a lot of Chinese rap is cringe-worthy, but I think that has a lot more to do with hearing it in a different language.

Like many other things in China, I think it's just underdeveloped.

I am seriously beginning to believe that for native speakers, most tones are skipped and context (you hear the same phrases a lot of times in your life) is used to discern the dozens of meanings.

There is a neutral tone in Mandarin that you can think of as a skipped tone, but generally speaking, tones are always pronounced and audible, and that's not a lie.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the best or at least the most active chinese hiphop artists are CMCB and DragonTonque (龙门阵), CMCB already have one album out, should not be difficult to find a copy in a CD Shop. DragonTonque is actually a hiphop compilation by Kinrin Kid Rec., but they also signed a trio with this name.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

www.hiphop.cn is one of the biggest although there isn't a real collective of sites about hip hop in China. And if there are, they're all decked-out in plastic jewelry. Not many Chinese people really understand what hip hop is, and who can blame them.

Douban has some rappers if you look under 说唱

I've been working on an album with a Chinese rapper for 4 months (I'm a beat maker). When it drops I'll post info in this thread.

• 2 years later...