Chinese-Forums

bubble/boba tea in HuangShan city, China??

Strawberries513

It's lovely stuff when done well. Invented in Taipei somewhere. It's easy to get there still.

Was easy to get in Singapore, but they locals have gotten bored with it so I couldn't find it when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Found somewhere in beijing selling it. I don't know the first two characters but it's zhen zhu nai cha. I think. It's definitely nai cha (milk tea).

Expensive in the UK at around £3 and usually made to order, badly, in a HK-run chinese cafe. We don't have the bubble tea stalls like you have in the US. Apparently it's popular on the west coast.

In Taiwan it's 25NT$ in most places, and you can have it warm or cold. In Singapore, if you can find it (only once place that I know of now) it's about 2SG$.

I can't remember how much I paid in Beijing. I think it was 6RMB.

It's good stuff but rather expensive here in the US ($3-$5/cup).

The highest price for a tapioca milk tea right now in LA is $2.71 at Tenren. Cheapest I saw was $1.95. Good to have plenty of competition here.

One store charged $3 for a small cup of tapioca milk tea. Shortly afterwards they went out of business.

The best pearl milk tea that I've had was at a Ten Ren Teahouse on Swanston Street in Melbourne last new year eve. It was nothing special really and a green milk tea with pearl cost me AUD 5.5. BUT it was 40+ degrees out there on the street and it was one of the few cafes that were still open and had very nice air-conditioning, so ...

I keep wondering whether a decent pearl ice tea cafe (eg a franchise of the Taiwanese TenRen) would do well in London's China Town. They do seem popular (and profitable, one assumes) in the states and Australia.

Maybe it's because we don't have long hot summers, but then Taipei isn't known for its equatorial climate, either ...

• 1 month later...

You can get it quite easily in Beijing. There is a chain cafe with a logo of a running rabbit against a green background which sells various 'pearl' drinks.

My question though... what's the point of it? It's just tasteless balls sitting at the bottom of your drink.

I've had the boba tea at the place that invented it in Taipei, and here in Chinatown Chicago near where I live - the people here make it just as well I think. The thing that blew me away?

550 calories for one cup of those tapioca's alone!! All carbs, but damn! :-?

Speaking of tea, I think I'll go make myself a nice batch right now...

• 1 month later...