Chinese-Forums

Chinese Idiom Rally II.

Guest Barbara

Ah ha... here comes an interesting word. Could anyone kindly advise me if the "游" in 游玩 is the same as the "遊" in 遊玩? I think my question is - have the two traditional characters been simplified into one character "游". Because I seem to only see it used this way in Mainland. In HK, the one with water can only be used to mean swim (dark memory of poor grades in dictation still haunts me). So 到此一游 should be written as 到此一遊 unless the place is a pond, river, etc. :wink:

Sorry for interrupting. Please go on.

Ah ha... here comes an interesting word. Could anyone kindly advise me if the "游" in 游玩 is the same as the "遊" in 遊玩? I think my question is - have the two traditional characters been simplified into one character "游". Because I seem to only see it used this way in Mainland. In HK' date=' the one with water can only be used to mean swim (dark memory of poor grades in dictation still haunts me). So 到此一游 should be written as 到此一遊 unless the place is a pond, river, etc. :wink:

Sorry for interrupting. Please go on.[/quote']

You're completely right. But even the 词源 reads 遊 : 1. 遨遊. 也作"游". 2.. (5 other senses). So in that sense, we could, even with traditional writing, write 游. Your teachers shouldn't have been so strict!

As you know, the basis of Chinese (philosophy et all ) is the Yi4 Jing1 易经 :wink:

For this rally, we definitely use simplified characters...