Chinese-Forums

Admission to ICLP, IUP, and BeiDa

phishin817

i went to ICLP last year and got the impression that they admit virtually anyone who applies (as long as you've taken at least 1 year of chinese in college). in fact, there were several iclp students who went because they got rejected from IUP (suggesting IUP is more selective). despite that, i thought ICLP was a great program and have no regrets about going there.

there are other posts on this forum comparing ICLP vs IUP. there was one useful post by someone who went to both and preferred ICLP.

yes, i liked the atmosphere. taipei has much to offer and most of my fellow students seemed to have enjoyed it. although if you really want that "beijing experience", you may be better off there. to the extent that your pronunciation will be influenced by your environment outside of school, you will probably learn more standard pronunciation in beijing, as many people in taiwan speak with a southern chinese accent (e.g. she/zhe becomes si/zi).

I spent a semester in Beijing and found that my Chinese didn't improve at all. Not surprising since my roommate was Greek and my classmates all European or American.

If you are serious about improving your Chinese you don't need to shell out a large wad of dosh to live in Taipei or Beijing. Go to a provincial city. You will be in a classes with all Japanese / Korean students who don't speak your native language - that is the way to improve.

My advice - go north my friend. The Russians will keep you warm and sane, and you will save a small fortune.