Chinese-Forums

Wang Shuo

Ian_Lee

Since Mr. Wang is one of the most well-known writers in Mainland and the circulation of his books exceeds 10 million volumes nationwide, I have periodically read some of his essays. Some comments:

(1) I have a hard time to understand what he wrote because he does not write in standard Mandarin but wrote in Beijing dialect. That has discouraged me somewhat in further reading.

(2) I guess Mr. Wang has a lot of hatred in his mind and likes to scold other contemporaries in his books/articles. Of course, Lu Xun became famous in his scolding technique. But for Mr. Wang, I guess he has to polish some more. For instance, in his article which criticized Jin Yong, he confessed that he had so far only read 1/7 of Tian Long Bai Bu out of the 15 novels that Jin Yong has written. Mr. Wang even wrote that he scolded Jin based on his preconceived opinion.

(3) Mr. Wang harbors a strong "Middle Kingdom" mentality and despises fringe culture from Taiwan and HK. But the reality is that today popular culture from Taiwan and HK has proliferated in Mainland. I guess Mr. Wang must have many sleepless nights when Mainland High School girls adore F4 as idols!

I feel that his hatred is more against hypocricy and bureaucracy than anythings else.

When people from other places in mainland china may only look up at Beijing as the center of the Chinese bureaucacy, he dares to put it down.

By doing that he shows his courage , dignity and pride, which come from the pursuit for freedom. And the pursuit for freedom is the pursuit for one's identity.

You spent all your life climbing up the social ladder, while I am way up above , in the air, looking down at you. It's all because I have a free, nobler soul.

I think the above paragrapgh decribes his contemptuous attitude toward all those bowing before the overwheming authority.

His works is china's The catcher in the rye.

Mr. Wang...despises fringe culture from Taiwan and HK. But the reality is that today popular culture from Taiwan and HK has proliferated in Mainland. I guess Mr. Wang must have many sleepless nights when Mainland High School girls adore F4 as idols!

perhaps you should be more precise with your words because you are equating 'fringe culture' with popular culture (from taiwan and hk) - which would be an oxymoron. if popular culture from taiwan and hk was fringe culture, then i think we all would have something to cause us sleepless nights and hope for immediate lobotomy surgery.

Niubi:

Mr. Wang Shuo wrote that the popular culture from HK and Taiwan is fringe culture. Please read:

http://www.xys.org/xys/ebooks/literature/novels/Wang-Shuo/gangtai.txt

Well, Mr. Wang even wrote such crap like 我说中国资产阶

级的艺术注定是腐朽的? (I would say China's capitalist culture is destinated to be decaying!)

Hmmm.....from what I observed, it seems that China's proletariat culture is destinated to be doomed!

• 2 weeks later...