Chinese-Forums

Chinese Squabble - A game for Chinese character learning

wix

I didn't realize that the pinyin for 女 is "nv3". I see that the Taiwanese are still playing fast and loose with the roman alphabet. That said, this kinda reminds me of the game that Shen Fu plays in Six Records of a Floating Life, although if you don't have any classic texts handy cards are a good substitute.

You only see nv when people are working on systems that can't display the double dots on top of the u (umlaut?) or when people are too lazy to try and find it, like me, now. It's also used in pinyin input methods, and my life got a lot easier when I figured that out and didn't need to continuously cut and past the character 女 in from other pages.

Roddy

• 1 month later...
You only see nv when people are working on systems that can't display the double dots on top of the u (umlaut?) or when people are too lazy to try and find it' date=' like me, now. It's also used in pinyin input methods, and my life got a lot easier when I figured that out and didn't need to continuously cut and past the character 女 in from other pages.

Roddy[/quote']

Yeah, it took me so long to figure that out too. It always annoyed the heck out of me that I couldn't type one of the simplest characters to write. Although, on the pinyin input method I use (NJStar) I type "nuu". As soon as I get home I'm going to try "nv" to see if it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Roddy was right about the u umlaut thing. A couple of friends told me to use the umlaut for esthetic reason, but I have my own view about it. I use nv3 because that's what you type on computer to get that thing out. It's not standard pinyin though, but as stated on the manual, it's based on microsoft IME's pinyin.

I have completed the printing and now it's time to take a rest. If people are buying, then I'll feel lucky. Otherwise, it's just my hobby that I put into production. I love it and I want to share it with every chinese learner out there.

For some real picture check out down here:

www.yoop.ch/~anton/squa1.jpg

www.yoop.ch/~anton/squa2.jpg

www.yoop.ch/~anton/squa3.jpg

www.yoop.ch/~anton/squa4.jpg

cheers

ax

With the Microsoft IME system that most people seem to use, you don't need to put in tones. For single characters it's not that effective, but when you put in compounds or even sentences its pretty good.

With this system it's not necessary to insert the u with umlaut - you just type nv.

Roddy

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Cultural University two days ago. They put the Chinese Squabble on their Book of the Month deck. The teachers were discussing about ordering Chinese Squabble in bulk and haggled with me about the price.

I gave them a better deal for bulk purchase. Crossing my finger now for greater volume of order.

cheers

ax

• 3 months later...

The first version of Squabble has been selling pretty well. However there is bit and pieces I need to fix on the coming version.

I'm gonna put on a wildcard called the 'wildhat', can anyone help me with the hats to put on?

right now i'm thinking of 宀, 亠, 冖, 八, 业, 兰, 彑, 亼, 彐, 穴, 受, 亭, 旁, 勞, 棾, 學, 樂, 興, 券, 苎, 登, 鬱, 變, 兟, 羽, 髟, 楙, 鄉, 帶(I can't take off the parts from the character, just look at the hats of those characters)

Does anyone know which other hats that I should include in the card?

ax

squabblemaker

www.chinesesquabble.com

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Check out a glimpse of Chinese Boggle at this link

http://antonjpx.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_antonjpx_archive.html

ax

Both this link and the link in the previous message result in a "page not found" error Ax.

btw I purchased Chinese Squabble and I like it though I am far from using it to its full extent. I look forward to more information about the boggle-type game.