Chinese-Forums

The Mayor of Kobe, 1971 . . .

roddy

The surname is Miyazaki. I am not sure of the pronunciation of the first character of the first name but I would guess it's "Tatsuo"

Those tricky Japanese developed multiple pronunciations for Chinese characters, so it's always a pain in the pigu to read their business cards.

• 1 month later...

When you translate Chinese names and places how do you properly provide the translation? Do you need to include the pinyin? or do you just add the Name (ChineseCharacters)...

When you translate a Chinese name from someone else do you need to provide a source in your bibliography because different people give different translations...

:?:

Is this in the right place?

You're talking about essay writing then. Well at Leeds Uni they used to say give Pinyin without tone mrks or numbers for China names and places, Wade for Taiwan (that may now have changed but Taibei and Gaoxiong still look a bit funny to me), and the normal foreign spellling when there's an accepted one: Dr Sun Yat-sen, Confucius, Koxinga. Don't need Chinese chars, only need one of Pinyin / accepted translation not both.

Please illustrate yr 2nd para as it isn't clear to me what you mean.

When you cross cultures there is often something lost. How would you document that loss? How do you show the reader that your translation is the best one? How do you prove your translation of the name if correct? Is this not even necessary?

sure. :) Yokohama Ichiro ... for example, when i translate to Chinese do I need to ask the nameholder how to translate his name or do i just find a way to transliterate his name? if i transliterate, should i use an expert as a reference or my best judgement?