Chinese-Forums

Jinan University, Guangzhou

Jive Turkey

Has anyone here studied at Jinan University's Chinese Language and Culture College? I've been looking into programs in Guangdong; yes, not the best place for Putonghua, but I need to be able to return to Hong Kong on weekends. I'm already at a high enough level that hearing non-standard accents isn't going to confuse/influence me too much. I actually took the HSK at Jinan in December. One attractive thing about the place is that I only saw 5 caucasian faces out of the 800 or so people taking the exam. Most of the students seem to be from East Asia. I know nothing of the quality of instruction, though. From what I've seen on paper, the place seems like a "BLU South." Any experiences to share?

Why not stay in Hong Kong and study at Chinese University in New Territories? I think they have a good program there and have seen a lively foreign contingent speaking Mandarin on campus.

Well, the first reason would be that the tuition for a year at the Yale Center is HK$47,400. The tuition at Jinan is only RMB 17,000/year. I don't want to pay that much money and not be in a Putonghua speaking environment. I've been to Guangzhou a few times. While I could say plenty of negative things about the city, a lack of Putonghua is not one of them, especially when around a university campus.

I've visited the Yale Center a couple of times to take the ACTFL COPA and to ask questions. I wasn't too impressed with the atmosphere. They don't seem to teach too many advanced students, either. When talking to students, I had the feeling that the program was just not that rigorous. Also, most of the students are young, university age types who aren't too serious about language study. I'm not saying all of their students are like that, but the ones I met were.

The teachers I met seemed fairly professional, but I had the feeling that they don't have much experience teaching advanced students. The advanced materials I saw were a bit shabby; most of them were things like glossed articles from the Mingbao monthly magazine or that Princeton series (Literature and Society, Peril and Promise) that I've already studied. They didn't seem to be very in tune with the newer materials coming out of mainland universities like BLU. If I had big bucks to spend on a year of studying, I would go to the IUP at Qinghua. Otherwise, I'll have to stick to the cheap places over the border. However, if I were settled into a career in HK and only had time for part-time study, CUHK would be my first choice.

• 4 years later...

HI

I have studied two semesters at Jinan University language collage. It´s quite fast paced and I will go back this autumn to study one more semester. Compared to Zhong Shan uni students we have a much more heavy curriculum. When you meet Zhong Shan uni students that has studied one year you really feel the difference. We speak better.

The negatives are the following; quite traditional way of teaching, really heavy load of books (staples!), and most of the students are quite young.

I still like the place, since it´s convenient, the teachers get you "going" quickly, the books are OK, and the school is not over strict with the hours spent on campus. That means I can work during the day with my own company.

So - I recommend the place if you want to learn mandarin in GZ.

Sincerely yours

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I am planning to study Chinese at Jinan University in Guangzhou, starting from spring semester this year(February, 2009). But I am confused about the university choice. Some of my friends recommend me South China Normal University. Hence could somebody help me out with this? Which university is beter in terms of teaching Chinese quality, campus atmosphere, activities, price etc., Jinan University or South China Normal University?

Well - it´s always a pain to learn Chinese. I go for Jinan since it´s ranked as no:4 in China, and they make the pain shorter (I looked at the books at ZhongDa and they looked way too simple). I also like the atmosphere at Jinan. // From sweden

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm looking for a Chinese course this summer. Does anyone know the email address of Jinan University's Chinese Language program? How do I apply?

Also, is Jinan better than the GuangDong University of Foreign Studies and SCUT?

Any help would be great! :help

I don't know if JNU Huawen Xueyuan (暨南大学华文学院) have summer courses, all I know is their main target are Overseas Chinese Undergraduates, plus students from Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan, not foreign students. But you can try anyway.

Their primary e-mail is: ohwy@jnu.edu.cn, but if you're writing to them in English perhaps you'd better try: duiwaihanyuxi@yahoo.cn

Here's (supposed to be) the Application form and you can read more about them @College site

• 4 years later...

Hi folks.

I am going to get enrolled for this university for grad studies in medicine.

I would like to know the university environment, medicine and hostel environment.

is it decent and disciplined?

what is the education standards.

students are mainly from what countries.

kindly give me a general update on university overall.

grateful indeed.

Regards

A Doctor