Chinese-Forums

Please help with a study

aeon

One of my ex-teachers from the year I spent in Beijing is doing a linguistics study into the characteristic grammar mistakes that native English speakers make when they are learning Chinese.

She is looking for native speakers from UK, US, Oz, NZ, Canada with no exposure to Chinese as a child to take part. No Overseas Chinese please. I know you might well be a native speaker, there's no argument about that, but childhood exposure to Chinese might screw up the results.

If you would be interested in taking part, please leave me a private message with your email address, your full name, nationality, and how long you have been studying Chinese/level of achievement. The study involves reading through 60 sentences which you have to mark as incorrect if you spot an error, and then correct the errors you can see. It takes about half an hour to an hour, and can be done via email so your location doesn't matter.

Please help, this might mean better textbooks in future! :wink:

The paper involves 60 sentences which you have to mark as incorrect if you spot an error, and then correct the errors you can see. It takes about half an hour.
What kind of level of Chinese is she testing? Not all native English speaker have the same level of competence in Chinese and so some will be better at spotting the mistakes than others. How can then the result be reliably interpreted?

When you send me the message just indicate how long you've been studying and where, or your approximate standard or HSK level if you have one. The characters used are fairly common and the sentences are also written in pinyin so recognition shouldn't be a huge problem.