Chinese-Forums

PDA Recomendations - Pelco

Harvey

Yes, it would be a good idea to get CKJOS anyway. You'll need it to read Chinese e-text, which is a fine thing to do on the Palm.

You should also get TealDoc, which a document reader that works well with PlecoDict's "instant access" feature.

http://www.tealpoint.com/

With instant access, you can get definitions while you read by highlighting the words. You can also from there add the new words into your flashcard list.

The next version of PlecoDict is supposed to come with its own document reader, but its release is still probably a few months off.

See http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/7989-pleco-update-chinese-chinese-license

• 1 month later...

What if I want to write things outside of the little pop-up writey screen "笔".. is this possible? If so, how? Can I use it to write things in my calendar as well or only pleco?

(standard apology/warning of "sorry, I don't know computers" is from hereon in always always always included :D )

Press and hold the 笔 icon in your toolbar. Choose any option other than 'Full'. Then use the arrow icon to collapse / expand the handwriting input panel. While collapsed you can write anywhere on the screen.

Pressing and holding the relevant icons also allows you to move the radical and list tables around, and doing the same with the text size one allows you to set text size independently for the main panel and the list.

You can only use this handwriting recognition within Pleco, as it's only licensed that way. PenPower is an alternative program that you can use anywhere, and it comes installed as standard on China-bought palms.

• 2 weeks later...
There's talk of a linux based OS for the Palm that will provide true multi-tasking. Last I heard...it is not yet ready for prime time.

It's not ready yet, but it'll supposedly be delivered to licensees by the end of the year, and reports so far are pretty favorable:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8921/access-linux-platform-at-linuxworld-sf/

From what's printed there and what we've heard on the Palm developer mailing lists, it looks like it should be able to run our software quite smoothly from the get-go; we're hoping to get our hands on a test version soon to verify this. And though the Palm OS Cobalt fiasco has gotten a lot of developers (including us) to roll out Windows Mobile alternatives, there seems to be quite a lot of enthusiasm about this new release. At the very least we're hoping it'll claim enough of the market to keep us from having to do a Symbian version (which would be an insanely complicated not to mention very expensive port).

• 2 weeks later...

The Dell Axim series has a removeable battery.

If you are willing to pay about 100USD more, you could also get a Dell Axim low end and probably even be able to have it shipped to room by ordering on Dell's China site. I have the x51V which is over kill for those just wanting to run Pleco. The best part is the ability to multi task if you want to both listen to music and use Pleco. If I am wrong about playing music in the background please correct me since I have never owned a Palm device.