Chinese-Forums

Converting L (tourist) visa to a student visa

onebir

See the Visa link on my Links Page:

http://members.bigvalley.net/wuji/china/shanghailinks.html

I haven't used them "yet" but after talking to them several times they seem to be on the up and up. They have a business office and say they've been doing business for over 4 years. You'll pay a bit more than what it cost normally but it will also save a trip to HK.

If anyone's used these guys let me know. If they are bad news I'll pull them from my links page.

• 1 month later...

i finally got my 6m F visa via a visa agent a few days ago. for some reason, he had to extend my L visa for a second (final) time first, so he had my passport for ages. but other than that it was ok.

contact details: samuel yuan, double link consulting, tel 13801084681, email samuel896 at hotmail.com

it was RMB 1400 to go from L to zero entry F, and RMB200 for the L extension

it'd be really helpful if anyone who's found a reliable visa agent could post their details. visa agents are easy to find in the thatsbj classified, but aside from price, it's pretty hard to decide which one to go with...

Some agents only want referrals since they want to lay low and not expose their back door to the PSB. Other than that: I never post someone's details to the web unless they specifically ask me to or grant permission. I think it is an invasion of privacy at worst and exposes them to lots of un-wanted phone calls at best from ppl who may or nmay not fit their customer target group..

Besides price look for agents that have a real office. The one I know works in the center of CBD in a large office that also provides other services to foreigners. You fill out a form and get a copy and receipt before handing over the visa. Other agents are very back-alley like. An established company with a relationship with the PSB is better than any individual.

Fair enough! I was under the impression though that visa agents operate via PSB contacts, but i guess these are kind of unofficial.

Thanks for the PM.

I did check with sam (mentioned above) before posting, incidentally... he said great, good for business

• 3 years later...

My experience with Samuel was not good. He quoted one price then asked for extra money when he brought the passport back (extra 1000). If you have a work visa, he will also charge you to provide a release letter. 'Double Link' should be 'Double Cross'.

• 7 months later...

what about this situation:

i have a tourist visa with one 60 days entry left which i will use to go to china in july.

by then i will have my student visa ready too, but that won't be valid before mid august i guess.

so is there a way, with both visas already with me, to switch them there in china (beijing) without leaving the country?

thanks for advice! :)

I have a question, how about converting a student visa to a tourist visa? Is that simple and easily done without leaving the country? I'll be in Beijing. I was planning to attend university there, but I've been somewhat adopted by the family of one of my previous Chinese students, and I'm free to live with them after I finish my semester at university. Can I easily convert my student visa to, say, a 12 month multiple entry tourist visa?

(I know nothing about visas. >_<)

• 1 year later...

I can't speak for Dalian but I know a couple of smaller schools in Harbin who can provide X-Visas with no problem at all.

Bincai and another one which has mostly Koreans, I never got the name but I've been there a few times.

It really does depend very much on the school.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone with new information about converting an L visa to an X visa in Beijing! I have my admission letters and original health report ready. Should I just ask the university to do the conversion?

Yes, ask your university, they will usually hand all this paperwork. It's usually easier for them to just do it then send a heap of students blindly running around in circles trying to figure out what piece of paper or what not they are missing.

I'm considering entering China on a L-visa and having my university(BLCU) help me convert it to an X-visa. I'd rather do everything in Sweden, but I didn't realize that you had to do the health checkup in good time because of the blood tests, so now it seems doubtful that I'll get it done in time. I've been reading around here about the possibility of converting, but can you really depend on it? If I understand it correctly, it isn't really kosher, but all the universities have connections with the PSB and can get it done no problem, while it's difficult if you're attending a private school or institute? In that case I should be safe in relying on BLCU helping me out(I've e-mailed them but they haven't answered yet). It would really suck to arrive in Beijing on an L-visa and then getting kicked out in a month's time. I suppose if I leave the country I could get a new L-visa, but that doesn't seem like a good long-term solution. I'm sorry if I'm overthinking this, as there's seems to be a lot of questions about this all getting a "yes you can do that" for an answer, but I'm a bit nervous going up against the chinese bureaucracy :P A clarification would be most appreciated :)(the chinese embassy in Sweden wouldn't hear of it and simply recommended me to apply for an X-visa, of course)