Chinese-Forums

Converting L (tourist) visa to a student visa

onebir

I've read that thread, but when I contacted the embassy here in Sweden they wouldn't yield an inch regarding the medical, and if I don't get a visa from them I can't really get into China to do the medical there. I finally got an appointment with a doctor here, but the blood tests they require take time to process, so I won't have them until August 5th-10th, and as I've understood it you should apply for a visa a month in advance(I will be starting school on September 5th)? I've e-mailed them about the time so hopefully I will know by tomorrow.

The reason no one can give you a direct answer is that milage varies and embasies in different countries seem to decide their own rules too. I did my medical in Sydney once, and ... the embassy didn't even want it, they told me that would be needed in China and they didn't need to see it, while others report not being able to get the visa without it.

As for arriving on an L Visa and converting, I've done this a couple of times with no complication at all, but nothing is ever guaranteed.

Also I usually get my visas processed in 1 day (Sydney again) so if it's similar there you could always pay for the same day collection or overnight. The real problem here is if you get rejected and have already bought your plane ticket. But then I guess you could try an L Visa.

If you don't live too far, I recommend going to the embassy with all your forms other than the medical and see if they accept it. If they protest say the school told you to do it when you get there at their designated hospital. If that fails, then L Visa or try to get your medical done.

...but the blood tests they require take time to process, so I won't have them until August 5th-10th...

For what it's worth, those blood tests should take no more than 24 to 48 hours maximum unless you live in a very small town that has to send them out to a distant lab.

I finally got in touch with the embassy again and they said it'd be okay for me to apply a bit late, so I'm gonna do the medical here and then go straight to the embassy when I get the results back. I guess there's always the off chance that they could change their minds when I get there, but since I'll be taking a chance either way and I now have their assurances I think this is the one I'll be taking. Should it fail I can hopefully get a tourist visa somehow. Thanks for your replies jbradfor and Matty, it's appreciated :) Now I think I understand the whole thing a bit more.

abcdefg: Well, service like this is obviously the downside of universal, state-run health care(it's very good in other ways in my opinion). I'll have to travel to Stockholm from where I live, around 120 km simply to get the medical done. All local doctors(and doctors in neighboring towns) are on vacation and you can only get an appointment if it's an emergency. I'll be seeing a private doctor in Stockholm, but they use a public hospital for the X-ray and bloodwork, so I still have to wait.

abcdefg: Well, service like this is obviously the downside of universal, state-run health care(it's very good in other ways in my opinion). I'll have to travel to Stockholm from where I live, around 120 km simply to get the medical done. All local doctors(and doctors in neighboring towns) are on vacation and you can only get an appointment if it's an emergency. I'll be seeing a private doctor in Stockholm, but they use a public hospital for the X-ray and bloodwork, so I still have to wait.

I understand.

Last year I converted an L (tourist) visa to an X (student) visa in Kunming, and the physical exam results were avialable in 48 hours. Very efficient and inexpensive. If I recall correctly, it was just a little over 300 RMB.