Chinese-Forums

Best of Chinese Study Tools, Studying Chinese Online and Off

doumeizhen

Java-based jMemorize is the best free flashcard software I've seen for the desktop. It's easy to use, has a pretty interface, and supports the popular space-repetition method. One can easily convert any of the freely available HSK vocab cards to use with it.

I've tried mnemosyne. It looks unfinished and has a poor user interface. KVocTrain is probably better than mnemosyne in terms of usability, but it doesn't seem to support space repetition.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I made no enemies, but I did:

Change the Wakan definition to "Free mouse-over pop-up dictionary for all windows applications." because the MouseOver function is really what makes Wakan different.

I also added a new dictionary category:

Online Dictionaries that support screen (mouse) character writing

Because they are hard to find.

Is Pablo (offline dictionary for PC with pinyin/English/Chinese entry and character stroke recognition) considered good enough to be added to the list? It's what I use, but I haven't had a chance to compare it with the other offerings.

For those who tried the Pablo Chinese-English dictionary, it has just gotten better! :wink:

On top of handwriting recognition and a collection of 2,100+ stroke animations, new version includes a new "multi-radical" search feature. It means you can click on several radicals and find characters that contain them all. It is inspired by a similar search engine for kanji developed by Jim Breen.

Pablo's web site:

http://ehaton.blogspot.com

Haton, blogspot is blocked in China. Would it be possible for you to upload Pablo to another site? MSN Live is accessible, though I hate their format. Typepad is openly accessible here (for now), but I think you may have to pay for their account.

For those who tried the Pablo Chinese-English dictionary, it has just gotten better!

On top of handwriting recognition and a collection of 2,100+ stroke animations, new version includes a new "multi-radical" search feature.

Thanks Haton! I'm downloading it now and I look forward to trying out the new feature!

Clavis Sinica has just added a large collection of ready-made Chinese flashcard sets to its website. The sets contain 25 items each, and are thematically arranged on topics like "academic subjects," "shopping," "Chinese dynasties," and so on. There's also a free Vocabulary List Converter tool that can be used to create printable vocabulary review sheets (showing characters, pinyin, and English) for each item.

The flashcard sets and converter tool can be accessed from:

http://www.clavisinica.com/fs-resources.html

• 1 month later...

This is a good post with may useful resources. It is excellent to have a variety of different types of learning tools as everyone learns differently. Some people are more visual than others and some needs more interactive resources.

As to some of the other posts, remember just to include links and give full recognition to where the link is from or any blurbs so that you are not infringing on copyright materials.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did I miss something or does Wakan only translate single characters on the mouse-over? I downloaded it today and quickly removed it. I later downloaded Dimsum and was somewhat happier. It isn't as slick as Wakan, but it does translate compound words (mostly). It also pasted quite nicely onto Excel.

The best by far is popjisyo.com, but of course you can only use it online.