Chinese-Forums

What English name should I adopt (based on my Chinese one)?

lysw212

I recently wrote a related article in my Chinese blog 英国人在上海 (all Chinese) and it has received a lot of feedback from Chinese people concerned about choosing an English name.

Also, if you really want to choose a non-Chinese name, I recommend www.babynameworld.com. It has hundreds of names from all over the world, including their meanings.

(A couple in the UK recently could not think of a cool name for their newborn son, so they simply called him "cool"!)

Dan

What if you go to Croatia, are you going to call yourself "Zeljko", "Tomislav", "Mladen"?

I don't feel its natural nor can you put it on any legal documents.

Same applies to English countries, I am one person that asks the person "No, really, what's your real name?".

Of course I wouldn't name myself to those unorthdox names that I can't even pronounce, what I meant was, the reason to have a nickname is to make it easier for others to remember. If I were to go to countries like Croatia, I would keep my western name John, Nico, Jane..whatever, I don't think it would be hard for Croatian to tell nor for citizens in other countries. However if that is not my original name, I would friendly tell them this is the nickname I use to communicate because my origial name is just too complicated, however when it comes down to draw some offical document, I will defenitely sign with my legal name.