Chinese-Forums

Teaching German in Beijing

UtaBoe

If only you were in Wuhan..... I could have been your first private student, provided reasonable fees were charged, also paid off what I get.

I don't know the situations in Beijing. But I can assure you that, at least in Wuhan, bunch of students who study art, music, medicine etc hope to learn German and go to Germany for higher education. So, I dont think it is difficult for you get a job teaching German, especially in BJ.

I've no idea what kind of demand there is, but try a free ad on thatsbj.com and see what response you get, basically. Probably also worth contacting any major German firms in Beijing - they will have lots of local staff with a potential interest in learning German and you might get some cushy corporate work.

• 3 years later...

I am just about to start teaching German in Beijing, but I am not sure about what payment to expect. German is not only my native language but I've got MA degree in German language and literature. Can somebody tell me about either German or English teaching experiences? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I will reply in German 'cuz it's easier that way.

Bin ebenfalls in Beijing und habe früher in China Englischunterricht gegeben. Pass mit deiner Visakategorie auf, denn wenn du mit einem Touristenvisum eingereist bist, darfst du hier nicht unterrichten. Das solltest du bedenken und dich rechtlich absichern.

If you're a certified teacher you shouldn't have problems finding a job. If you just happen to be a German speaker, you'll have problems (you can teach English, though! ;) ).

If you wonder about what to charge, have a look at the ads on thebeijinger and see what other people are charging..

• 2 months later...

I taught German in Shanxi in 2008. They don't have a high standard for foreign language teachers. I only got 30 kuai per hour for a class of 20 persons at a small language training school. My friend who is still teaching at that school told me that they raised teachers' salary to 50 kaui per hour now.