Chinese-Forums

Chinese letter format

novemberfog

When I went to Taiwan last year, I got a really good book, 中國民間故事【二】. (Chiense Folk Tales Vol. II) Unfortunately, the book shop did not have Volume I, and I have not been able to find it on the Internet. I want to write a letter to the publisher and ask if they can give me the name of some stores that might be able to sell me the book. Perhaps Amazon in Taiwan carries the book, but my Chinese is not good enough to navigate through Amazon or complex shopping websites. I am hoping the publisher can give me addresses. Perhaps my goal is impossible, but I have to try, right?

So, what is the format I should use when composing the letter? What does the "Dir Sir or Madam" part look like? The closure? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want to write the letter in Chinese?

What does the "Dear Sir or Madam" part look like?

I think it’s ok. And sometimes when I write a letter to someone uncertain, I just say 您好 in the beginning.

The closure?

Usually, I write:

顺颂商祺!

Maybe you could write in this way.

尊敬的XX(the persons name here), 您好:

body part.(Write your purpose here, and don't forget use phrases as "谢谢您","麻烦您" etc.)

此致

敬礼!

your name

date

What's more, in a Chinese letter, it is no need to write your adress on the top, people could find your adress right from the envelope.

If you still have some problem, just ask me.

Yes! That is the book! Semantic Nuance, thank you very much for your help. I guess I don't need to write the letter after all. (Though I am still interested in the format of a letter in Chinese).

Vol. II is really fun, I have just worked with the first few stories but I really enjoy this method of studying Chinese. You can learn some cultural while learning language. The only downside is the book uses zhuyin fuhao and a Taiwanese style of "pinyin". But I just stick with the zhuyin fuhao.

Maybe you could write in this way.

尊敬的XX(the persons name here), 您好:

body part.(Write your purpose here, and don't forget use phrases as "谢谢您","麻烦您" etc.)

此致

敬礼!

your name

date

Can you write the name without a title?

尊敬的王敏, 您好

How about email. In English it's a grey area as sometimes people will format an email just like a letter in a very formal situaition, still using "Yours sincerely", etc. But often they will close with something like, "Regards, Mr Smith".

Is there a less formal equivalent for emails?