Chinese-Forums

BLCU scholarship students

anniuska

Hi

I am applying for a scholarship for a full year study starting this september, but i don't really want to live on campus, can i be a scholarship student and live else where, and if i do, do i get money for accommodation.

Any help would be great!

Hello Frank 2010

If you decide to live somewhere else than the accommodation provided by the CSC, you will not get money for that. You will have to pay for your accommodation.

I have also applied for the scholarship to study at BLCU and I am waiting for news with my fingers crossed ;)

If I finally get it, I think I will go there, see the accommodation they have for me and try to upgrade to a better room in case I dont like it.

As I have read in the forum, in this way you only pay for the difference so you do not lose the economical support that the Chinese Government gives you with the Scholarship.

The other option is finding an accommodation by yourself, or finding someone to share an apartment with (in the city maybe... I do not know) but in that case, you will pay for it 100%.

Thank you very much supercris.

After reading the reviews on some of the dorms in BLCU, i thought it might be better to live elsewhere, but maybe it would be better to just upgrade to a better room.

When are you going to BLCU and how long are you therefore, I am going there for the year in September.

Yes, I have also thought of staying somewhere else because the reviews of the accommodation provided to students in BLCU Campus are not very welcoming ...

However, I think I will wait until I am there, see what I get and change it if I do not like it.

I am planning to start also in September and stay there for a whole year, but it depends on the resolution of the Scholarship I have applied for. I have applied for two Scholarships: One is for going to Beijing and the other one is for going to Taiwan. (I am a Chinese Mandarin student).

So as soon as I know the resolution of these procedures, I will decide where to go.

What about you?

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the reviews are from 2006 - has anything changed since then, do you think? I too will be there on scholarship in September, but don't plan on paying for an upgrade.

Dorm 1, the dorm for guys, is still pretty bad i think. I checked in Aug 09 and after three weeks i moved out. But some are tough enough to stay put. Respect. Dorm 9, the one for girls, is actually good compared to Dorm 1!

As a scholar, your subsidy is i think 900 kuai, since that's the fee in from dorm 1. They gave me a choice to upgrade to Dorm 4. I forgot how much it was, but it wasn't bad. I think i would end up paying 400-600 for a double. I don't remember. But ultimately i decided to live off-campus, and I've never regretted it. <Privacy! Living Room! Kitchen! Western Toilet!>

• 1 year later...

Hi,

How exactly did you guys go about negotiating an upgrade (I can't speak Chinese and people say the receptionists there can't either?) ? Also, when did you do it? I've also received a one year scholarship and I'm hoping to try the first semester in a single room with a private bathroom. I take it this means Dorms 4, 6, 7, and 8? One other thing, does anyone know what the discount for five months is for the rooms? I believe Dorm 17 and the Conference Center have discounted figures but I haven't been able to find any for the Campus Housing. :-?