Chinese-Forums

Summer Programs in Beijing 2006 (UIR?)

Benjie

Hi there,

I am planning to do a three month intensive language course in Beijing this summer. So far, it appears to me that the best option is the University of International Relations Relations (UIR) (http://www.uir-cie.com) since they offer 6 hours of instruction per day. Also, UIR is ranked much higher tha BCLU in the NetBig University ranking, although this rank refers to the university in general.

Is anybody else going to UIR? Any suggestion for other intensive short term programs in Beijing? Has anybody attended the UIR program yet?

Any input is appreciated!

B

Do you speak any Mandarin already? If not, then the intensive course could be a bit, umm, intensive. 6 hours a day is a lot; you might learn more by having "only" 4 hours a day and spending more time doing revision and/or chatting with some locals.

As for the rankings - what is the "netbig ranking"?

Hi adrian, yes, I am doing my fifth Mandarin course at the moment and I want to get the most out of the two or three months in Beijing. To be honest, I am not really satisfied with my progress in Mandarin and I know from experience that it's always best to study a language where it is spoken.

The Netbig ranking is a ranking for all Chinese universities. The ranking in English is only available for 2003 (as far as I know) at http://rank2003.netbig.com/en/rnk_2_1_0.htm. UIR is ranked 57th and BCLU only 169th. There is also a special ranking for language (http://rank2003.netbig.com/en/rnk_2_7_0.htm) but UIR is not included in that list.

An old post about UIR and a discussion of BCLU and Benjing Normal University (BNU). UIR seems to have a solid program with somewhat smaller class sizes.

The rankings you listed are based on the schools' reputation for their graduate and undergraduate programs. They are probably not relevant at all for their Chinese programs for foreigners.

Thanks for the links gato. Yes, the rankings do not refer to the language courses that is true. I also heard that classes at UIR are smaller than at BCLU. The only thing I find strange is that not many people seem to be going to UIR or at least not on this forum..

Hi,

I am considering studying at UIR starting this may (i already got accepted, just still making up my mind)... my only concern is that they have only 5 levels and i am afraid that i would fall somewhere in between and end up wasting time reviewing stuff i already know.

Finally some posts about UIR :) The right level, yes I am also still trying to figure out where I belong. Are there more levels at BCLU? Anyways, from all I have read and heard about UIR, it seems to be just as good a bet as BCLU and I like the idea that the class sizes are smaller at UIR. Anthony: IF you are starting in May, make sure to share your experiences on this forum ok?

BTW, the rooms they offer do not appear to have any internet access, do you have any information on this? B

yes, i will definately keep you guys posted if i do decide to go to UIR.. about the internet in the rooms, i never really considered this, just assumed there would be.. either way, i'm sure i can find somewhere cheap enough to go online.. in fact, not having access to internet may actually be a good thing; will prevent me from wasting so much time online:mrgreen:

University rankings is irrelevant as far as language courses are concerned. Most universities use the language programs as cash cows. There are many posts already giving opinions of the best langauge programs in Beijing. They include: IUP, Princeton in Beijing, ACC, Taipei Language Institute, CET and Fluency Beijing.

No mainland institution has yet to produce an effective language program. This is mainly because they have not accepted modern linguistic didactics and carry the assumption that fluency for non-Asians is impossible.

• 3 months later...

Hi - thought I'd hijack this thread for a moment.

I was mainly interested in the "intensive summer programme" part of your post. I too think that the UIR looks a great bet and I want to do a 10 or 12 week summer course (still unsure about whether to do it intensive or not... but am definitely looking for a 10 or 12 week course)

But on the website for UIR I was unable to find a couse of that length beginning in Julyish. Have you found one?

I am well able to accept that I was being stupid (that's normally the case) so I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me whether such a course was available.

Let me know

Nicky

• 2 weeks later...
I was mainly interested in the "intensive summer programme" part of your post. I too think that the UIR looks a great bet and I want to do a 10 or 12 week summer course (still unsure about whether to do it intensive or not... but am definitely looking for a 10 or 12 week course)

But on the website for UIR I was unable to find a couse of that length beginning in Julyish. Have you found one?

UIR had a 12-week one this year that started in late June . . . It's not listed on the English-language website anymore, probably because the enrollment period already passed. The Chinese-language version of the website still lists the dates: June 29 2006 to Sept 20, with the deadline for applying on May 14. There's no indication if the dates will be the same in 2007, though...

(I'm interested in taking that summer intensive course too, depending on how their schedule fits with my college schedule here in USA.)