Chinese-Forums

BNU students? Anybody here?

billybot

Any BNU students out there? I would like to meet some of you or at least electronically correspond. I am interested in going there next semester and would like to hear what it's like from current students...if you are interested I can give you the rundown on my alma mata Diqiucun! :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Any big benefits over BLCU?

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, the comparison between BLCU and BNU (always very personal) has been done many times. Use the search facility on this web site and then come back here if you have unanswered questions. Or, better, your own conclusions to share.

zhende ma

I am just curious why you, personally, chose BNU over all the other schools...i know you were on scholarship..but u still had a choice right?

Also, since you lived in the dorms with no single rooms...how did u find it living with another person, any privacy issues?

Personally, did you find the type of chinese instruction effective? So, do they teach you chinese characters in the class and pinyin if you need it? How many hours of homework did u do each day?

I guess I'm just trying to decide between a few schools...BNU, BLCU etc.

Thanks for being open to help!

zhende ma

I am just curious why you, personally, chose BNU over all the other schools...i know you were on scholarship..but u still had a choice right?

Also, since you lived in the dorms with no single rooms...how did u find it living with another person, any privacy issues?

Personally, did you find the type of chinese instruction effective? So, do they teach you chinese characters in the class and pinyin if you need it? How many hours of homework did u do each day?

I guess I'm just trying to decide between a few schools...BNU, BLCU etc.

Thanks for being open to help!

I chose BNU due to the recommendation from my Chinese teacher who was from Beijing. I had never heard of it before since like most people I had only heard of Beijng University, Tsinghua, and BLCU. I really loved BNU. The instruction was excellent. It is regarded as one of the top Chinese programs in Beijing. You will learn A LOT and be shocked at how much your Chinese progresses, even if you start from stage 1. They teach you in Chinese characters, but pinyin is also in your workbooks. However, they do not write in pinyin and it is used only as a pronunciation tool and not a substitute for learning characters. Also, all lectures are in Chinese (since people from all over the world come there). It is rough at first but is the best way to get your ear trained really well to hear Chinese. The flip side of all this is BNU is also known for having the most homework among comparable Beijing universities. I'd say if you do all your assignments right, including reading etc. be prepared to study 2-3 hours a day. Don't worry, you still have time to have fun though.

As for the dorm, I had a roommate who was a doctoral student from Malaysia. He was a really cool guy and we had no big problems. Privacy issues weren't a big deal. He was really cool and not prying. What sort of privacy issues are you most concerned about?

• 2 weeks later...

Assorted Questions:

What level did you study at?

How many people were there in your classes?

Did you study anything else at the University? Is that opportunity available?

What times are classes? If there are two schedules can you switch them midway through?

Was the workload so large that it was impossible to take a few days off here and there to do some travelling?

uh, thanks.

Bill

What level did you study at?

I was in 102 which is the third level class. Next would have been 200,201,202 etc. Each one takes a semester

How many people were there in your classes?

About 30 and you all rotate classes together (they put you in sections)

Did you study anything else at the University? Is that opportunity available?

I joined the science fiction club. My friends also joined this music club. I would recommend joining a club to meet people. For classes, I think there were calligraphy and chinese history/culture classes but I didn't take them. You can also take any class at BNU if you speak Chinese well enough

What times are classes? If there are two schedules can you switch them midway through?

Different sections have class at different times. You typically have two classes a day (though one day a week I had 3 classes). I started class usually at 8 on one day and 10 on another day. When I started at 8 I was done by noon. Start at 10, done by 3 or so. You can go to different levels of classes but I'm not sure you can switch sections. I'm pretty sure you can't switch midway through.

Was the workload so large that it was impossible to take a few days off here and there to do some travelling?

Heck no. I went on weekend trips to Xi'An, Mt. Taishan & Jinan, and Qingdao. Once I skipped Friday classes to do it (though I wouldn't recommend doing it too much :mrgreen: ). I wouldn't take off during the week though. But no, you have homework during the week to do but I still found time to hang out with friends, go out to dinner, see Beijing multiple times, etc. And there are the week long holidays like May Day or National Day week you can use to travel too. 2 hours a night is very manageable.

Thanks Zhendema. I am currently studying at Diqiucun and while the quality of instruction is pretty good, there is little direction and responsibilities (i.e. no homework or tests). While this may be good for some people, other's need some extra motivation to study. It sounds like Beishida is a good choice in this regard.

Oh, another question: do you know if it is possible to start in the middle of the semester?

I have no idea but given their processes and the linear progression of the semester by textbook, I kind of doubt it. Are you looking for housing at BNU too? You never lose by trying though :D

That's the really nice thing about Diqiucun is that you can pick up and leave and come back anytime basically because it is so flexible.

I am not planning on living on campus at BNU. Right now I am in Wudaokou but i don't like it too much. The area around BNU seems to be quite nice. I may move later on. thanks again