Chinese-Forums

Chinese on XP without installation-CD?

Guest alexmagnus

Hello forum. I'm new here, I'm from Germany and I am almost a complete beginner in Chinese. First of all, I would like to install Chinese on my PC but I have lost the installation CD (I have Windows XP). Is there any other way? Thanks.

As far as I'm aware you need an XP CD (hint : doesn't have to be yours). The support for SE Asian Languages (as it calls them) requires about 250Mb of stuff, and I don't think the individual files are hosted anywhere.

Hallo Alexmagnus,

A friend from Uni sent me some guidance to enable me achieve that. I have done a different way just by playing around with my system but it worked but I have no record of how I managed that so try this link first and let me know if it worked.

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

Franco

Also, look on your computer for a directory named "I386". Many installers put the installation CD files onto the computer these days, because of the large hard drives.

In that case, if it asks for a CD, you could point to that directory. The reason I say "if" is because systems that already have that directory often have a registry entry pointing to it, and XP will automatically find it and install without any user input required.

You can always try and install Asian fonts, and then cancel.

Hello,

In fact I just installed Chinese font on my Windows XP yesterday.

Download from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx

Then download both traditional and simplified versions.

Then you have to enable them using Control Panel/Languages.

Hope it goes well. It is very exciting to be able to type Chinese for the first time!!