Chinese-Forums

choosing dorms at BNU

katenici

I'll be studying at BNU next year through the UC program. I just found out we had to register for dorms before our summer programs starts, so I won't have the chance to see them first. I know you can change rooms in the first two weeks, but I'd rather not have to. Do current/past students have advice on which dorm is best?

I stayed in the No. 1 International Students dorm and I liked it though it was one of the older and smaller ones. If I remember correctly Lanhui was pretty good. The only problem is that it is comparatively far from the class building. No. 3 International Student Dorm (Liyun) is the best and newest one. Xinsong is closest to the classes.

No. 1 has bathrooms in the halls while Lanhui, No. 3, and Xinsong have bathrooms in the room. Lanhui also has the biggest and nicest rooms though as I said earlier, you have 10-15 min walk across campus to classes. No. 1,3, and Xin song are also next to the main street, Xinjiekouwai with its bus stops, McDonald's, and other restaurants. What exactly are you looking for?

If you have any questions ask me. I was there for a semester last year.

I was mainly wondering if there were social differences between the dorms. It seems like at a lot of US unis buildings w/apartments and singles like No.3 can be somewhat isolating. Do particular dorms attract more of a certain age/nationality, or is it mixed up pretty evenly? Thanks.

I would say that No. 1 or No. 3, particularly No. 1 has the most diverse set of students. If you are worried about only hanging around Americans or Westerners then don't worry too much. I'd say 80% of the students are Korean and Japanese and you will usually talk to them in Chinese (I'm not sure about the summer session mix though). Anyway, No. 1 International has scholarship students from all over the world so you have people from other Asian countries, including North Korea, Africa, and Europe for the most part. No. 3 is mostly Korean but with a mix from places like Malaysia and Indonesia as well, often overseas Chinese. No. 3 has better facilities though, if that matters to you to have a kitchen in the hall and your own bathroom. No. 1 isn't bad and I liked it a lot. I'd the say whole knowing your hall feeling was better in No. 1 since I knew and hung out with everyone on my hall. I guess the common bathroom helps. Xinsong and Lanhui are mostly Korean/Japanese and since the rooms are self-contained, seemed like less of a "hall culture" at first look. Since Lanhui is far, once you go home you may stay on that side of campus too. Many of your friends will be made in your classes and the Chinese are pretty friendly so I wouldn't worry too much about making friends if you go and try to make opportunities to do so.

There are several restaurants connected to No. 1/No. 3 where a lot of students go. No. 1 also has a small weight room. The only issue may be this is kind of the "foreign" side of campus. If you want to meet Chinese students, which I highly recommend, you should often go eat in the Chinese student cafeterias or join a club. One final thing is that No.1 is right at the bus stop and 10 min. from the subway by foot so you can get all over Beijing fast.

Overall, there are no dorms I would say are "bad" and urge you not to live there. I may sound biased towards No.1 and maybe No. 3 but that is probably because of my own experience. I lived in what was considered the cheapest dorm and still had a blast. I had a good time and was happy with my choice (though it wasn't a choice since I was on scholarship and all such students must live in No. 1). One more thing, if you by chance want a single room No.1 does not have them.

I also applied to BNU with my wife to start this September as wanted to know about the dorm situation for couples. Would it be better renting an apartment since I hear dorms are split by gender at Tsinghua - is it the same at BNU?

Does anyone know what sort of apartments are in the area?

I'm not sure about couples in the dorms. I know one couple who had a room in No. 3 International Dorm but the husband was a Western professor. I'd say contact the BNU admissions office by phone or fax. There are a lot of apartments in the area of varying quality. I never rented off campus but many of my Korean friends did. They almost always used a broker (who was Korean). There are some good places nearby and all relatively cheaper since the area isn't home to lots of Western expats like Sanlitun or Chaoyang. Again, call the admissions office and maybe they can help out.

• 1 month later...

I've just tried to make a booking at Dorm #1 Liyun, but it seems the dorm is fully booked for the fall semester! What are the chances of a place opening up? Should I wait?

Also, according to the chart on the BNU site, dorm fees differ for long-term students and short-term students. I've enrolled for a semester's study - would that make me a long-term student or a short-term student?

Finally, according to above-mentioned chart, internet access is charged at RMB60 per month. The question is, do I actually need my own laptop or can I pretty much get easy and cheap access to a computer with internet access on campus or at the dorms?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I also applied to BNU with my wife to start this September as wanted to know about the dorm situation for couples. Would it be better renting an apartment since I hear dorms are split by gender at Tsinghua - is it the same at BNU?

Does anyone know what sort of apartments are in the area?

I'm not sure about couple's dorms, that is worth calling the office. BNU is a relatively big university so the office may be able to accommodate you on campus. Apartments in the area are plentiful and cheaper than most other areas that foreigners are apt to live (much cheaper than dorms). The neighborhood is actually really neat, and you are good to go wherever you decide to live. There is a good thread here about finding apartments.

Thought I'd ressurect this, as the info on BNU's web site is so horribly unclear.

When it says "double room", such as those in Lan Hui, does that mean it's a big room, or that it has two single beds and you'll be sleeping next to some random snorey person? I assume the latter. And if so, where are the single rooms? Are the "two bedroom apartment with living room" in Liyun No 3 single rooms?

Also, how come some rooms (such as Lan Hui) are cheaper than others for the "long term rate" but it's the most expensive on the day rate.

Yours,

A confused person :)

Since I'll be studying together with my wife, I wanted to stay in a dorm with double beds, but all dorms are single from what I can see. In any case, I can't seem to reserve any dorms at the moment.. Has anyone managed to book something?

Hi. anyone living in BNU's Liyun Apartotel? Or lived there?

What are the wall electrical power points like? 3 flat pins (2 at an angle like a Y shape)?

Any diagrams on the Internet to show us so we can plan what sort of converters to bring? I assume it is 230Volts there.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. cheers.

For anyone who cares (you all do, right?) I booked "B3" - No 3 Liyun Apartment. This is meant to be a two bedroom apartment which I'll be sharing with one random (hopefully non English speaking, but who knows) person.

It has the most expensive long-term rate of 95Y/night although the short term price is cheaper than many others. How odd.

For those who were saying many of the apartments appeared to already be full, when I went to the online accommodation bit on BNU's website, every single option was available. So, try again!

I think you're allowed to keep changing your mind until mid August, at which point your bed actually gets booked.

And then (and I'm relying on this), you can move out after 2 weeks either off campus or to another style of room (if available, obviously) with no financial penalty; you just pay for two weeks. Whether that's at the long-term rate or not, I've no idea.

What are the wall electrical power points like? 3 flat pins (2 at an angle like a Y shape)?
Power in China is 220/50. The plug shape is not too big of a problem - there are only two wall outlets in most BNU dorm rooms, anyway, so you're probably going to want to buy a power strip - these strips accept all kinds of plugs, and cost around 10 RMB. Otherwise, check this link: http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm