Chinese-Forums

SuperMemo Importing Chinese Characters Help

david3249

I've just bought SuperMemo 2004 and see if I can improve my chinese learning

I can't for the life of me find anyone to help me. The software isn't very user friendly and the help files for that program are terrible.

I'm trying to get it to work on my desktop running WindowsXP. I can read virtually all chinese characters on the web and use wenlin with no problems.

Basically, I created a flashcard word list textfile with pinyin and definitions and tried to import them to supermemo. The file(s) are in the standard UTF-8 file format and the Chinese characters are Traditional Characters.

I can't make it import the newly made flashcard list. I have no idea how or where to begin. I've tried using a converter to change the flashcard file to SM's Q&A format, and it seems to import with no errors, but only jibberish comes up. I imported without the Q&A converter format and there were no errors, but the flashcards aren't appearing.

Does anyone have a already made flashcard file they can post on here or email to me? Perhaps my textfile format for import is wrong.

Thank you very much,

David

david_3249@yahoo.com

sissi,

I meant the chinese characters (traditional and simplified) is visible when surfing the web. (I mentioned that to indicate I have the correct fonts installed, so the jibberish I am seeing is some other problem, not due to lack of font setup on my WindowsXP. My chinese reading ability is beginning level.

Oh, also, the link provided shows up as an error when I try to pull it up.

The other thing you could try doing is setting the default non-Unicode language to traditional Chinese characters, and then use BIG-5 instead of UTF-8.

Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language settings->Advanced->Default language for non-unicode applications.

It's not a particularly nice hack, but it should work - however your supermemo databases will only be viewable on other machines that have changed this setting, or on machines that have Traditional Chinese Windows XP installed on them.

--> geraldc, thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I had read that thread before posting, and could not find what I needed. Much of the discussion was regarding SM on pda.

--> Thank you imron, I gave that a try but the terms still are not appearing.. However, the format of the file I am trying to import may be wrong.

--> Does anyone have a working (sample is fine) chinese flashcard file that is able to be imported into SuperMemo 2004 (desktop version) I can try this procedure with? I'm just not certain when my error is, whether it is in my setup for the flashcard file.

I have a sneaking suspicion is my flashcard file Q&A format that is wrong.

Thank you in advance,

David

david_3249@yahoo.com

Does anyone have a already made Chinese flashcard file (that works with import into SuperMemo 2004) they can post on here or email to me? Perhaps my textfile format for import is wrong.

I've asked on about 4 message boards and no one is willing to email a sample flashcard file. I just need one with a few terms to test out. PLEASE

Thank you very much,

David

david_3249@yahoo.com

I'd also be interested in getting a copy, especially if someone has one using the SuperMemo xml format. I found a page here that talks a little about it along with some some examples, but does anyone know if their xml schema itself is publically available?

Chris

Supermemo 2004 is a Unicode program, so you should not need to do what imron suggested. However, you may need to install the East Asian Language Pack for Windows (some browsers will display East Asian languages without this, so you may not know that it isn't installed). Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages, check "Install files for East Asian languages," then click apply. You will probably need your Windows install CD to install it.

I have attached a small text file that I made as a test, and it imports into SM with no problems.

chintest.txt