Chinese-Forums

Chinese Americans in American film

shobson1

Hello,

My name is Sean Hobson and I am doing a research paper on Chinese Americans in traditional american visual entertainement. I would like to conduct an email(or instant messenger if preferred) interview with someone of chinese american racial decent. I would like to ask opinions on stereo types and the overall effect you think chinese americans have had on visual entertainment(actors, directors, producers, not technology wise). Anyone intrested? my email is Shobson1@student.cscc.edu Thanks for reading :help

Hello Kaox!

I don't necessarly have specific research questions, it's more of doing a cultural study on a particular ethnic group. Since this is a group project, I'm doing chinese-americans in visual media/entertainment. However, In the individual essay I must complete I must adhere to these following questions:

1. Show relationship of the topic to the values of the ethnic group.

2. Show how tradition has been affected by the interaction of the dominant and subordinate cultures in the United States.

3. Show relationship of the topic to the current issues.

I've only started on the introduction(which i'll later revise) and I've got a video, and about 7 books from the libary. APA format is the requirement, and though only 4 pages double spaced is required, I want to do more because I respect and was once very very intrested in Asian American culture through Anime. But I can't incorporate that genre really because thats of Japanese Origin. However, there are ten extra credit points in me doing an interview, online or offline. So if you can just give your opinion on the following questions concerning entertainmentt(or your view period, I can just quote whatever is relevent, dosen't neccessarly have to answer questions).

1. How do you feel the Chinese American is represented in Mordern American Media(eg: Hollywood, Broadway, Tv Shows etc)

2. How do you feel that the Chinese American culture has changed American media culture?

3. Are there any stereo types in American media that you think the Chinese American will overcome(for lack of a better word) if given the oppertunity?

4. How do you feel America looks at the Chinese-American actor in General?

5.What genre do you think Chinese Americans will be able to really excel in and break the inequality(if there is?) barrier?

6. What are your feelings on the stereo type of karate on Chinese Americans in Visual Media?

All these questions are voluntary. You don't have to answer any ones you deem offensive or ignorent. Please do forgive me of any ignorence I have shown so far :oops: Feel free to revise any questions you think could be better, and add any information you want that you think could help the topic or benefit the Chinese American community as a whole represented :)

Thanks again for reading.

P.S. How do you like sociology? I'm taking SOC 101 and its my favorite class, I might go into that field if it remains as intresting as it currently is :)

You should probably should include all East Asian Americans (i.e. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and probably Vietnamese) in your research since as far as American mass media and much of the public are concerned, they are all treated as one. If there's a stereotype about one group (say Japanese), it'll reflect off on the rest.

Thanks for the reply Gato :)

I would love to include all East Asian Americans, a much broader field and I could make mass paragraphs concerning the World War II Anti-Japanese commericals and cartoons.

But my assignment is on the specific cultural group-Chinese Americans :cry: My professors fault no doubt.

btw Whoseover is intrested and does do the interview, please include your real name that I may cite it in my refrences. Thanks :help

Shobson1,

I am an Asian-American residing in America, I might able to answer some of the questions listed to get your started.

1. How do you feel the Chinese American is represented in Mordern American Media(eg: Hollywood, Broadway, Tv Shows etc)

For me, there isn't to many Chinese Americans represening the modern American Media only a few. It depends on what geographic area in the US, it willing to show more toward Chinese-American audience like San Fransico and NYC.

3. Are there any stereo types in American media that you think the Chinese American will overcome(for lack of a better word) if given the oppertunity?

This is a very good question, because there are stereotypes about Asians, if they are only one in class would get straight A's in class. This is considered unfair to all the Asian-Americans who are an average students just because they just are American's after all. I do get the stereotype when I come into class as the Asian just came from China. Although it is stressful to repeat over again that I am not from China, I was born here in the US, as a result in no comment.

The stereotype of the American Media claiming all Asian get straight A's is not necessary true. I also felt very bad when people think this still, ineffect I get back-lashed because I am not an A student, but an average student. Hey, I am just an Asian-American, it isn't might fault that I am an American or is it?

6. What are your feelings on the stereo type of karate on Chinese Americans in Visual Media?

It is alittle annoying because of the American media's ignorances that every Asian will karate chop you, if you asked them a question, comments, etc with a karate accent. This is not considered all true, in my own opinion, most Asian-Americans are just like you and me, going on their everyday lives.

Kung-fu movies is just a nice thing to start off topics, plus not all the best chinese tv series are shown in the U.S. For example, Jin Yong famous works are highly popular in Asia and all over the world. Some popular stories like Heavenly Dragon and the Eigthfold path, Legend of the condor hereoes, Return of the condor heroes, Heavenly sword and the Dragon saber, and the Divinity of the state.

P.S. I hope this helps you with your research.

Samuel C.

i love sociology, i get to prove things and no one knows how to retort.

except for economical things

you need to be careful with your subjects. being that we're on a chinese-forum and i am a severely intense asian american (i studied asian american issues more than you can believe), your subject pool won't be generalizable

there's nothing but stereotypes. aside from cooks, deliveryboys, kung fu artists (or some kind of mangled form of martial arts), and dragon ladies (look that one up), there are no 3-dimensional characters who are of chinese descent. i think the happiest moment of my life in media history was when there was a elder chinese man in wedding crashers who spoke without an accent for about 2 lines.

i dont watch a lot of american media anymore.

2. How do you feel that the Chinese American culture has changed American media culture?

more chinese culture than chinese american culture. the americaness of our experiences have yet to be exposed to the mainstream. i suppose joy luck club would be the most prevelant but i never saw that. i've yet to see things in mainstream american culture that reflect our experiences as americans.

3. Are there any stereo types in American media that you think the Chinese American will overcome(for lack of a better word) if given the opportunity?

given that there is very limited exposure of chinese or other asians in american media, i doubt it'll happen anytime soon. the only stereotype we can overcome right now is being visable, if we get on tv. if you pay attention to asian american movements in media (with independant movies and films), we are appealing more to our own audiences rather than to the wider white audiences.

no idea. if the role is sterotypical, they won't have to think since everything to think about is provided for them. for the actor to be the main role as a 3d character, it may be surprising.

5.What genre do you think Chinese Americans will be able to really excel in and break the inequality(if there is?) barrier?

there are no true genres we can trully excel in. to breakthrough inequality means we can be in all genres.

i think you should change the word to martial arts since this affects all asian and traditional kung fu originates from the chinese. plus we all know nobody knows the difference (except for the few who study martial arts). these kinds of stereotypes in media affect how mainstream american views chinese americans and it also limits the feasibility of a role for chinese americans.

producers and all others involved in media production are more likely to stick with sterotypes because its accepted and less risky. production costs so much that it's risk to not attach these images to us.

for example, producers in Last comic Standing were quick to film vietnamese comedian Dat Phan practicing martial arts and made it seem like he did it all day. why else would they do this rather to flesh out a character with stereotypes to make it easy to the audience to "understand" him?

as a side comment, american media doesn't treat the successful actors and actresses with much respect. jet li and jackie chan have both left american media to finish their career in hong kong. b.d. wong has dropped completely off law and order, reduced from a main character to a supporting character. russell wong is called the sex icon of asians but no one knows who he is. same for dustin nguyen.

those who stay popular stay with the stereotypes of asian. they just happen to be women too: zhang zi yi and lucy liu

Of all the films with Asian-Americans I've seen -- I've seen quite a few -- I enjoyed "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" the most because while it's exaggerated and it's funny, it's also ironically most true to life and its Asian American characters are diverse and surprisingly "normal." John Cho is Korean-American and he plays a character named "Harold Lee," but I don't think it's ever stated whether his character is Korean or Chinese. And guess what? The movie was written by a Jewish American, just like Ang Lee's "Wedding Banquet" (James Schamus).

See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366551/

Harold and Kumar is a good movie. I tend to focus more on the negatives mainly because there are so few positive films like H and K in the mainstream. But also cause it doesn't include a Chinese American cast member.

also, while these films do a lot for us who want positive representation, it doesnt do much for the rest of america. it's gonna take a lot more to change the mindsets of americans

I bet Harold is Korean but you're right, it's not suggested that he is and it isn't important. The main deal is that he is someone of Asian descent. It would make sense just because John Cho is korean himself.

You'll want to look up and contact a Chinese-American film producer by the name of Montgomery Hom. He'll know everything you'll ever want to know about Asian Americans in film.

His latest work will be released in May 2006 (there's some contact info in here too):

http://www.transcendtv.com/mwac_home.htm

"Men Without a Country"

It is a documentary about Chinese who fought in the American Civil War. Both the Union Army and the Confederate Army had some Chinese in their ranks.

Mr Hom has also produced documentaries over the years like We Served with Pride: The Chinese American Experience in WWII (1999)

Have you seen this letter from Steve Park from almost ten years ago?

http://www.modelminority.com/article1.html

By Steve Park

In the spirit of Jerry Maguire, I submit this mission statement to the Hollywood community.

Struggling for Dignity

I am a Korean-American actor. You can see my work in one of the most highly acclaimed movies of 1996 and in one of the most talked about scenes of that year. I play the distraught Japanese-American ex-schoolmate of Marge Gunderson-- Mike Yanagita-- in the Academy Award-winning movie Fargo. Working with the Coen brothers and Frances McDormand was one of the high points of my career. Not so much because they are brilliant artists, but because they are decent, down-to-earth people who treated me and the rest of the cast and crew with respect and admiration...

kao0018,

I really can't agree more, but the Asian stereotypes categorized both Zhang Ziyi and Lucy Lui, is examples showing it isn't easy to survive in Hollywood. Please note: I am not an supporter for them, but I am just explaining the situations given last year controversial roles as an Asian actress playing as a kabuki in Memiors of A Geisha. It shows that although, the auditions wanted to watch it is banned in China, not promoting this in movie theaters.

I do keep an open eye for better positive messages in Asian movies, but it usually turned up negative. It is showing alot of true in society, the stereotypes is all negative, but we need to open up to the grey areas would not be shown in the general public.

For example, speaking of martial arts stories, there are alot of stories written by Jin Yong, most of the messages are positives. This is mainly popular within the Asian realm, but it is not widely known in the US. If given the chance, I would willing to show others who never seen it, and give it a try. By exposing there are other things out there in the unknown Asian realm, it helps break more of that Asian stereotype.

The exposure would show that not everything in the Hollywood about Asian slanted eyes are true. Everyone is actually all the same, by showing other examples of other Asian actors or actress in different Chinese tv shows.

I really want to thank you kaox and Mind-wanderer. You guys have been more than a help to me and I really appreciate it. Your insights and opinions will do my report good; and I hope it will tear down a few misconceptions when I use them in my powerpoint presentation also. Again, to take time out of your lives to help a stranger like me is highly commendable, and I truly do thank you. I have really enjoyed studying the history and current position of chinese-american culture so far, and I just hope I will give a decent summery in essay format. Nevertheless I'll come in and stop by from time to time, but I again I really want to thank you guys:mrgreen:

I'm sick of this self-victimization of Asian Americans. Race should no longer be a scapegoat for minorities for all the 'difficulties' faced in life. Can't make it in Hollywood? Boo hoo. Don't blame it on some intangible 'racial' oppression. I believe it is easy to over-exaggerate the 'barrier' for Asians in American society. Sure some inequalities exist, but ultimately we have ourselves to blame for the rather ordinary and unmemorable presence in media and American politics.

Kaox0018, wouldn't your pursuit for more 'three-dimensional' Asian roles be undermined by your desire for more 'positive representations' because, correct me if I'm fallacious, multi-dimensional characters are not possible with only positive portrayals? Nothing personal, just a thought.

I also do not understand the blatant disregard for 'positive' or favorable stereotypes. Must we always obsess over unfavorables without taking into consideration the benefitial stereotypes, ones that we take for granted? I'd say out of all the minorities, we probably have the most favorable stereotypes. Who wouldn't want to be thought of as smart, hard-working, and entrepreneurial?

As to the original poster, congrats on completing your assignment but I figured that I'd chime in as well.

1. How do you feel the Chinese American is represented in Modern American Media(eg: Hollywood, Broadway, Tv Shows etc)

Yes there are a handful of 'stereotypical' roles, but that is to be expected as there are more Asians in commercials and mainstream television in general. Currently the American media is obsessed with diversity and I fear that the fascination with everything ethnic will soon become just another fad. Like parachute pants.

You'd be surprised at how similar 'Chinese American culture' is to the bread-and-butter 'American culture'. I'd state though that Chinese action films redefined the modern action movie genre(injecting more unbelieveable/bordering-fictional choreography with a faster tempo) and Japanese cult classics definitely influenced modern horror films(The Grudge, Saw, The Ring, etc.)

3. Are there any stereotypes in American media that you think the Chinese American will overcome(for lack of a better word) if given the opportunity?

Two stereotypes: Asians can't drive and Asian men have microscopic tallywackers. Unfortunately, someone on the highway can pass 12 Asian drivers without incident and it only takes the one Asian to cut him/her off for him/her to reaffirm the stereotype that Asians cannot drive.

I'll comment that many Asian actors/men lack the rugged, masculine, athletic, confident charm that western women/men stereotypically are-attracted-to/look-up-to, hence they often aren't the best candidates for attracting viewers. Yet these 'desirable' traits are not entirely genetic, and are obtainable with effort. Yes I succumbed to stereotyping the masses as well. *sigh*

This artifically perceived 'inequality' is exaggerated by overly-racially-conscious Asian Americans(no one on this forum). I don't deny its existance, however. I, perhaps foolishly, believe that every American can excel in every genre.

6. What are your feelings on the stereotype of karate on Chinese Americans in Visual Media?

Why this is considered a negative stereotype is beyond me. I think in this day and age everyone knows that the stereotype is not true; this stereotype, like numerous others, exist for the sole purpose of providing comic relief. Plus, I, as a first-degree whitebelt dropout, actually benefit from this.

On a tangent, I actually dozed off while typing this post heh.

i think asians just carry a lot of "cultural baggage" with them

black culture is assimilated into American culture, hispanic culture is also very prominent

when you see an asian, you expect them to "do something asian" or speak with an accent. Over time, this will decrease. Then the Indians will be next.

Ferno,

I do agree the African-American culture is starting to like more of Asian culture. Here is something that actually give me a culture shock, besides the does Chinese people eats cats and dogs. For my first time, the African-American culture can actually differentiate the differences between the Chinese and Japanese culture. So many differences, can be shown and always willingingly asking great questions about Asian culture that I can answer without the Asian biases.

I read everyone's post, no one has answered this question, playing devil's advocate. What about the other negative bias about the Asian-American, does Asian's know kungfu. I am not fueling for more biases, I know there are others who does feel the same way.

For example, If you just don't want to talk to people or those annoying people you just don't want to hold a conversation with. The bias about Asians does help, they think you can't speak English or will karate chop them. This is a great form of excuse, because it is conditioned in people's mind. However, if someone who is willing to ask politely, yea, two people start to laugh about all Asian stereotypes is incorrect.

If someone can reject this mind of thought, please feel free, just sharing ideas both positive and negative. I am not impling it is a good idea, but some positives and negatives.

I'm sick of this self-victimization of Asian Americans. Race should no longer be a scapegoat for minorities for all the 'difficulties' faced in life. Can't make it in Hollywood? Boo hoo. Don't blame it on some intangible 'racial' oppression. I believe it is easy to over-exaggerate the 'barrier' for Asians in American society. Sure some inequalities exist, but ultimately we have ourselves to blame for the rather ordinary and unmemorable presence in media and American politics.

Kaox0018, wouldn't your pursuit for more 'three-dimensional' Asian roles be undermined by your desire for more 'positive representations' because, correct me if I'm fallacious, multi-dimensional characters are not possible with only positive portrayals? Nothing personal, just a thought.

I think you're taking my point over the top, claiming these these points were to be blamed to "all" difficulties.

Point taken. I see 3-d synomynous with positive in this day in age. I.e. the roles of Better Luck Tomorrow aren't "positive" but is because they portray Asians as people, not objects or classifications.

Which is precisely why positive stereotypes are damaging: they don't allow you to be people.

To be clear: self-victimizing or whining is not what I'm doing. I'm responding with some points with some observations that give a strong stance.

How and why should we blame ourselves for not being portrayed in the media? Keep in mind that there are a lot of Asian and AsAmerican actors/actresses. People seem to forget when Dustin Nguyen and Russell Wong were posters on young girls' walls. How do you address that many producers and writers will never consider an Asian role unless it is a race-specific role?

I think you have some points of being self-responsible that are good but this is not a complete "one-side is at blame" issue.

I think a lot of your arguments stem from responses you would like to make elsewhere.

i think asians just carry a lot of "cultural baggage" with them

black culture is assimilated into American culture, hispanic culture is also very prominent

when you see an asian, you expect them to "do something asian" or speak with an accent. Over time, this will decrease. Then the Indians will be next.

Let's be clear about one thing. This is exactly what the media is pushing: that minorities have cultural "baggage" that they won't give up or can't.

Keep in mind that for many non-white groups, to accomodate the greater white society by ridding themselves of some aspect of their heritage is not the same as it is for white people.

1) non-whites don't do a very good job of 'passing' (i.e. seemingly "colorless' under the eyes of others)

2) it is integral for non-whites to keep parts of their heritage alive so they can interact with people from their family or in their older generation's home country

3) non-ethnic specific culturel is white culture in the us.

What most people want ethnic minorities to do is not to lose their cultural bagges but to be "white." Trust me, if I could look white, I wouldn't care as much.